I want to use two hosts? It can be done but how?? Or No?

• Kistler
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Kistler

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well I like my host now but I want like almost no down time, I know “0” down time is hard but I heard a friend talking about looking into running on to servers or host not sure. But I was going to see how can that be done? Or is it with two servers but same host? I don’t want to be dedicated ha-ha. Looking to go cheep but go good.
Any questions just ask.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Kistler
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Kistler

Post 3+ Months Ago

thanks will do, (tried support is down due to MYSQL) might want to look into that. still looking to talk, and don't tell me it was just to get your host on here, they don't like that.
  • Kistler
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Kistler

Post 3+ Months Ago

I wanted them to, take over when the other host goes down, not sure if that sub-domain stuff would work, server would have to be running to get to a sub-domain to redirect? or did i miss something.
  • phpservers
  • Banned
  • Banned
  • phpservers

Post 3+ Months Ago

ive never tried it, but consider this:

host 1 nameservers = ns1.host.com, ns2.host.com
host 2 nameservers = ns1.host2.com, ns2.host2.com

if you point your domain name to the nameservers in that order, if host 1 is down, would it then try host 2?
  • Kistler
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Kistler

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yea, I thought of that but i wasnt sure if that would work. I might have to call or email godaddy.com to see if they have a 2nd nameserver, and or see if it works like that.

I'll keep an eye on your Hosting.
  • Daemonguy
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Somewhere outside the box in Sarasota, FL.

Post 3+ Months Ago

phpservers wrote:
ive never tried it, but consider this:

host 1 nameservers = ns1.host.com, ns2.host.com
host 2 nameservers = ns1.host2.com, ns2.host2.com

if you point your domain name to the nameservers in that order, if host 1 is down, would it then try host 2?

Maybe I am confused, but I have no idea how that would help. (It could be me I suppose, been up far too long as it is. )
From a host persepctive, doing outward resolution, but we're talking about internet traffic doing inbound resolution. Query to TLD to Authoritative NS, if more than one, then they are usually weighted or round robin.
The NS then responds with all IP's it maintains, first response is chosen; connection is then initiated to the application server in question.

What this person needs is a method to share (either active/active or active/ standby) two servers, with two IPs.

You can't simply put both IP's in the bind db either; entries like
www IN A <ip 1>
IN A <ip 2>

in your domain db will simply round robin between the two.

What you need is another host to be a Server Load Balancer, (Example: Foundry Networks, Foundry Irons or IBM's Network Dispatcher).
Essentially, you will have a VIP, Virtual IP attached and answering from the ND or the SLB which then manages connections between the backend's real IP's. (Software solutions -- that are free, like PLB -- may work for you as well.)

Just be sure that whatever solution you choose does more than simply loadshare, it has to be intelligent enough to shift traffic when a backend connection dies.

Cheers.
  • Kistler
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Kistler

Post 3+ Months Ago

alright, yeah i went looking into the NS and found that out. but thanks for the 2nd part of the info :)
  • Daemonguy
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

phpservers wrote:

i am just trying to conclude this discussion. the difference between 99% uptime and 100% uptime is a lot of money.

Indubitably. Layers of redundancy at *every* turn. From multiple sites to multiple pipes at each and every location; multiple everything at every network layer.

I don't think the original intention of this thread was "100% uptime" however... I seem to recall it being more robust web serving.
Regardless, 100% is achievable with a large enough budget, you are correct there. :)

Cheers.
  • UNFLUX
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: twitter.com/unflux

Post 3+ Months Ago

The discussion of obtaining 100% uptime has been split from this
topic since it is certainly a qualified topic with great info all around.

The new thread is here:
http://www.ozzu.com/hosting-forum/obtaining-100-uptime-t30066.html
  • Daemonguy
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

UNFLUX wrote:
The discussion of obtaining 100% uptime has been split from this
topic since it is certainly a qualified topic with great info all around.

The new thread is here:
http://www.ozzu.com/hosting-forum/obtaining-100-uptime-t30066.html

That's fine, though my last post is not included in that thread. :)

Not that I mind of course.
Cheers.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 10 posts