Warning about Godaddy.

• goodcraft
  • Born
  • Born
  • goodcraft

Post 3+ Months Ago

Many people are finding that godaddy will cancel your service and steal your domains without hours of you signing up and even will register domains that you check for availability, find available and hesitate to register. All the domains people I know actually checked through godaddy were registered by godaddy them within 3 to 12 hours. As for those Registered with godaddy, godaddy cancelled the account and subsequently registered them and then the same domains appeared to be for sale at a higher price (i.e. 'on backorder'). Ones they checked through other domains like ipower are still available

Good thing is, they were a bit leery so they only checked ones that were close to the one they wanted and sat back to see what would happen. For example, they really wanted like "mrjenkinsland.com" but they registered "jenkinsland.com" and godaddy cancelled the registration and held on to it. Beware folks!
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I've been using them for years and not once have I seen this happen, nor heard of it happening. I completely question the validity of this.
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: Sub-level 28

Post 3+ Months Ago

I've got about 35 domains with them right now, never lost one, never heard anything like this.
  • xfahmix
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Cork, Ireland

Post 3+ Months Ago

i have more than 10 domains with them and never heard such problem.. Are you sure about this?
  • musik
  • Legend
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: up a tree

Post 3+ Months Ago

personally i think its rubbish.
  • DIYweb
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • DIYweb

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yea, I know not everyone likes GoDaddy, but I've been using them for well over a year and have never had a problem. I'm a reseller with them through WildWest and have well over 100 domains registered and have looked up who knows how many names... it's not uncommon for me to check a name and then grab it for myself or a client days or even weeks later. I've never had a problem with a name being taken when I later went back.
  • rDolay
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • rDolay

Post 3+ Months Ago

tell of tales..

Godaddy also wildwestdomains [same company] are the world largest domain registrar services.
They have millions of customers. A company like that wont involve with domain reselling, especially while they were generating millions of $s monthly via their fully automated services.
But since they are too famous ofcourse there are so many pishers and frauds running scam via their names and their brands.

If the tell of tales you heard have any accurate example then should be from the naive users lost their domains from those pishers and fraudelent resellers using godaddy name.

But there is a thing I know about godaddy is they are targeting their competitor directly from their web-site
http://www.godaddy.com/gdshop/compare/g ... goox1003bb
  • OverSeasHost
  • Born
  • Born
  • OverSeasHost

Post 3+ Months Ago

i used godaddy for a long time , it is ok , and they have a v. good support , i tried other registrators be4 , they have no support compared to godaddy

i doubt of that info.
  • lioness
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

I too use GoDaddy and never experienced any problems like this.
  • ckandes1
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • ckandes1
  • Loc: Daytona Beach, FL (US)

Post 3+ Months Ago

I've used godaddy for over a year as well, but with only 2 domains. I have lookded up an uncountless amount of domains, and have gone back to find theyre still there all the time. Thanks for the warning I suppose, but you need to check your sources!
  • #@X0R
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • #@X0R
  • Loc: Cyberspace

Post 3+ Months Ago

i have to agree with everyone else i got told about godaddy and i have never had much of a problum with them i have 3 domains with them and nothing but 110% service. also stated above theur support is nothing but the best. but ia m not sure of your sources but i will have to disagree with you on this topic
  • aakash
  • Born
  • Born

Post 3+ Months Ago

Godaddy is a reputed registrar and web hosting company. Lakhs and millions of users use its services daily. I don't think godaddy would be watching so many people for what they search? This could be the case with small hosting companies where they want to quick money with any mean.
  • Halstahl
  • Born
  • Born
  • Halstahl

Post 3+ Months Ago

Actually, I believe it. It also happened to me.
I registered a website, and I was looking for a similar spelling that our clients would also probably look for, but we didn't buy it at the time (sept. 2005). one month later, our company determined we would also register the similar spelling because it was going to be also sought by customers due to a similar sound, and it had been registered already by somebody else who put it immediately for sale charging US$2088 for the registration made in the SAME MONTH; this didn't happen ever when we had done a search in places like powerpipe.com. Don't use a search in Godaddy, you risk losing your domain name!
  • DIYweb
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • DIYweb

Post 3+ Months Ago

Again, I find this very hard to believe. I would contact GoDaddy about it. Perhaps, someone has hacked into their system - hard to believe, but who knows? But the simple fact is that to register all the "potential" names would cost a small fortune and it would be very hard to make any money on the venture.

What is more likely is that you have a keylogger on your system or other trojan etc and someone is spying on what your company is doing.

I have registered 100's of names and searched for tons of others... and probably only twice in a few years have I not been able to grab a name a few weeks later that I had considered... Great names, espeicially in good niche's don't last - you snooze you loose, simple as that.
  • Azita_RG
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Loc: Vancouver BC

Post 3+ Months Ago

its been ok to me.
  • funlounge
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • funlounge

Post 3+ Months Ago

Very weird...

Can you really explain what happened ?

Could it be caused by a Spyware running on your computer ?
  • ctrenks
  • Student
  • Student
  • ctrenks

Post 3+ Months Ago

I registered pharmancy.ws a long time ago there as they were one of the few for ws sites.. I got it and two days later i got an email that it was a mistake and it was already owned. I checked the url and guess what, it was parked at godaddy.. absolute scam and a good one. Just check all registered domains and if you see a good one take it back, thanks for the idea..
  • ranochio
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • ranochio

Post 3+ Months Ago

i have no problem with them at all
very good service and great support
  • takai003
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • takai003
  • Loc: Albany, OR

Post 3+ Months Ago

This happened to me as well. I found a great .ws name. I didn't have time to purchase it, but when I came back later that day it had been grabbed by GoDaddy themselves! They were auctioning it off in their domain market. I have heard about this happening to other people as well.

Besides that, GoDaddy has been a reliable domain and hosting company for me.. Until recently. I renewed my hosting with them and they gave me a new hosting account instead of renewing my old one! In order to move the time over to my original account, they told me to delete the new account. Then they tell me it will take several weeks to process and there is no guarantee it will even happen! They also make sure to let me know now that they do not give refunds. Why should I pay for their mistake?!

Other than the occasional problem, they are a decent host. I would only recommend them for small or personal websites though. I'm in the process of ditching them. There are better options out there for serious webmasters.
  • coolio
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • coolio

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have been using them a lot.
I have no problems. can you specify a bit more
Do i need to be concerned
  • elmedio
  • Born
  • Born
  • elmedio

Post 3+ Months Ago

This absolutely just happened to me right now! And you can corroborate it, I was about to register this domain:
reinventingthecolorwheel.com
it was available at my hosting company Dreamhost, but I wanted to save with godaddy where its cheaper, when I selected it with them the browser told me a disclaimer "STOP! YOU'VE SELECTED A GREAT DOMAIN NAME." in red letters and instructions to pay for it below along with other offers along with advertisements that broke my domain name down to its components: "Color Wheel", "Reinventing the Wheel" etc. (this can be easily done with any server side programming language, breaking any phrase to matching popular words in the internet as every spam site proves). Then after by accident pressed the Back button I couldn't find my order, I reentered the website and then the name wasn't available anymore! What's more I checked who it was registered to: "Margo Mason", isn't that the name of that character from saved by the bell? you may argue that but what about this, since 2005 till 2009 and it was last updated yesterday, yet you go to the actual domain and it's just a mirror to go-daddy! PLUS you go to the Wayback Machine and it shows that the domain has NEVER been updated. This is more than fraud, I'm just so pissed off.
If you have a great domain name, don't trust this THIEVES!
  • TechNews
  • TechNews
  • Loc: America

Post 3+ Months Ago

The original post sounds bogus to me! I have my sites through them and I can't say enough good about them. They are always there when I need support and I have had no problems at all. I think someone is trying to brew up some bad gossip!
  • Truce
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Truce
  • Loc: Washington DC

Post 3+ Months Ago

Eh, it's also very possible that the domain was already registered and dreamhost was wrong. If someone registered it earlier that day and it hadn't managed it's way into the .COM registry or Dreamhost's/GoDaddy's cache of the .COM registry, but then on a later pageload GoDaddy actually checked the registry to make sure it really wasn't taken, and it was.

I doubt that GoDaddy would ever do this...I mean...it's possible someone saw the unencrypted traffic coming from your modem and they saw you were trying to register it so they did instead.

The WayBack machine isn't perfect, BTW.
  • cyberblue
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

I think it ok ++
  • Evenhost
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have never heard of this or had this happen in my dealings with them. This is just one more bit of rubbish floating on the net.... :/

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 25 posts