*WARNING* DO NOT host with Yahoo

• Brad Gosse
  • Born
  • Born
  • Brad Gosse

Post 3+ Months Ago

I moved 15 of my sites to Yahoo hosting for an SEO experiment I was trying.

One of the sites has been completely shut down (403 forbidden) for almost a full week and all I get from support is:

"We have no idea why your site is down and we have asked an engineer to look into it but there is no ETA for getting it back up and you can't speak to anyone else"

This has been going on for almost a week and still no resolution or answer as to why my site and FTP is down. The worst part is that there is data I can't get until I get into the FTP account.

I have over 1000 websites on various hosts and my own dedicated servers and I have NEVER dealt with issues like this.

I just wanted to put out this warning to everyone thinking about trying them out.
  • niyogi
  • niyogi
  • Loc: Houston, TX

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi Brad:

Sorry about your experience. The larger hosting companies really have a hard time getting close and personal with their customers. I know, for a fact, that Yahoo appeals to the static hosting customers that have just a few pages to upload and host and nothing more.

Have you managed to get your content off?

Roj
  • Skorpijon
  • Skorpijon
  • Loc: Lithuania>Birzai

Post 3+ Months Ago

huh, I dont even need a warning that i should do not host my page with yahoo.....
Yahoo is full of ads ....
PPL BETTER host servers with no : ADS/Lag/bandwidth .....
Best host servers is where u should pay 4 them ....most of them uptime is more than 99% and if there where errors on (100%) they will give prizes ... Like : 1gb more band. More Mbs/ Dabases/ New system .. or + 1 year/month Contract :) 4 free
...just try to find most cheap host as u can and buy it and enjoy it !
-
DO NOT USE MSN/YAHOO/FREEWEBS[Lamers]
and ect
  • CartikaHosting
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • CartikaHosting
  • Loc: Wishing I was in Kicking Horse

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
I moved 15 of my sites to Yahoo hosting for an SEO experiment I was trying.

One of the sites has been completely shut down (403 forbidden) for almost a full week and all I get from support is:

"We have no idea why your site is down and we have asked an engineer to look into it but there is no ETA for getting it back up and you can't speak to anyone else"

This has been going on for almost a week and still no resolution or answer as to why my site and FTP is down. The worst part is that there is data I can't get until I get into the FTP account.

I have over 1000 websites on various hosts and my own dedicated servers and I have NEVER dealt with issues like this.

I just wanted to put out this warning to everyone thinking about trying them out.

Hi Brad,

Sorry about your experiences. I have actually heard some decent things about yahoo's service. We have some customers that also host a couple of domains there - mostly because thats where they have always had them. Never seem to have had problems - but, looks like this is a consistant theme with them - as long as everything works, you are golden - when you need support, resolution times tends to drag on.

As Roj indicated - sometimes large corporations have a hard time with stellar (or even adequate) customer service. However, the flip side is they are yahoo, they are huge and you know they arent going anywhere... However, in this industry, with so many choices available - that alone is probably not going to cut it anymore, and Im hearing more and more stories like this about their service.

Hopefully you get things resolved shortly...
  • lioness
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

I not only had a horrible Yahoo Hosting experience, but also with trying to retrieve a domain name I had also registered through them. They refused to release it to me OR redirect the DNS. I back-ordered the domain and had to wait until the domain expired to have it again. :evil:

I found cheaper hosting elsewhere, with comparable uptime and with more features so Yahoo have seen the last of me :P
  • sjgault
  • Born
  • Born
  • sjgault

Post 3+ Months Ago

Same here! And NO reply from anyone in Customer Service! All my sites are down!
  • VP-Kaumil
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • VP-Kaumil
  • Loc: Toronto

Post 3+ Months Ago

Jeez -- I guess it's reasons like this we keep getting customers from Yahoo!
  • handaajay15
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • handaajay15
  • Loc: vermont

Post 3+ Months Ago

YAHOO is not a domain registerar. They just manage your domain for you. We should always register our domain with our choice of ICANN accredited registerar.
This way we are in control whether we like or dislike our web hosting service provider.
  • SuperHostUsa.net
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Bit hosting Companies might give you the assurance of never going down beacuse of financial problems but they almost always suffer from a lack of a good personal customer service.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 9 posts