Web hosting + Domain vs. Web hosting + Domain Elsewhere

• Been Told
  • Been Told

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi there,
since I'm in the process of reconsidering my whole web hosting situation (I'm with Bluehost with most of my sites and a forum), this is another thing that I've been thinking about.
Up until now I've always used one host for both the domain and the web space.
But I keep hearing of people using one company for webspace and using GoDaddy or NameCheap (or whatever) for their domains.
The only advantage I can see is that if something goes wrong with the webspace, you can instantly redirect your users to another server or something or even just a "please wait" page.
But other than that, what are the pros and cons of using a seperate domain registrar?

Looking forward to your opinions everyone. :)
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• penguin
  • Flying penguins
  • Banned
  • Loc: Behind you !

Post 3+ Months Ago

The advantage of having the domain with the hosting company is, The signup is faster and you can kill two birds with one stone, And most of the time hosting companys tend to offer a better deal iff you Purchase the domain name through them.

Now The downside like you said, Is that If they suspend end your account, Or even if something goes wrong you loose your domain name and your website.

I tend to purchase hosting, Then purchase my domain from godaddy Becuase then like you say if something goes wrong with your hosting you still have your domain name.

It really is down to your own choice, If you feel that you can trust the host then sure purchase your domain name through them.
  • Been Told
  • Been Told

Post 3+ Months Ago

Okay, thanks for that.
Now here's my other question... If I purchase hosting and a domain seperately, is it common to be able to change DNS settings and such with a webspace host these days?
I remember a friend of mine was with some european host (Hosteurope or Europehost or something) and they did not allow you to change DNS settings and such.

Also - who handles e-mail access. The domain host (which I suspect is the case) or the web host? In other words, if I want to use e-mail, should I make sure my domain registrar offers an e-mail package along with the domain? Or do I configure settings with my webspace host and they manage the e-mail?
Sorry, I know these questions are newbie-questions, but if you don't ask, you don't learn. :)
  • SpooF
  • ٩๏̯͡๏۶
  • Bronze Member
  • Loc: Richland, WA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Most domain hosts give you a large range of options for your domains. I currently host only my domains with GoDaddy. Through their control panel I can change my DNS.

You can do webmail through your domain host or through your webspace host.
  • penguin
  • Flying penguins
  • Banned

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yes do In respect of webmail, It really does not matter where you purchase your domain name from?
  • rllunzmann
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • rllunzmann
  • Loc: Wisconsin

Post 3+ Months Ago

Even if a company is holding your domain name, you legally can take action. The only hosts that would do that are "kiddie" hosts.
  • penguin
  • Flying penguins
  • Banned

Post 3+ Months Ago

rllunzmann wrote:
Even if a company is holding your domain name, you legally can take action. The only hosts that would do that are "kiddie" hosts.

Are you talking about, Taking legal action to get the host to release your domain?
  • tan_go
  • Banned
  • Banned

Post 3+ Months Ago

penguin wrote:
rllunzmann wrote:

Are you talking about, Taking legal action to get the host to release your domain?

In what way? How can you do that?
  • penguin
  • Flying penguins
  • Banned

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thats why I was asking, Becuase I dont think you can.
  • funnyface
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • funnyface
  • Loc: UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

Why everybody is so afraid of regging a domain with a host? They should only put your data in the administrator's contact info.
  • penguin
  • Flying penguins
  • Banned

Post 3+ Months Ago

They dont. If you go to bluehost.com and get hosting and using a domain name with them, Then if you do a whois search on the domain you will see that the details are bluehosts details.

So the domain is under there name.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 11 posts