Web Hosting Tips

• agent14
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • agent14
  • Loc: Barbados

Post 3+ Months Ago

Here is an article I wrote today. Tell me what you think about it. I think it needs some work but hey.
Web Hostint Tips - http://www.anmartech.com/reviews/guides ... /index.php
  • CartikaHosting
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • CartikaHosting
  • Loc: Wishing I was in Kicking Horse

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi Agent14,

Well written article and some very useful information for consumers

However, the one concern I have is this statement:

Quote:
Some web hosts have openly stated that they remove their resellers who don’t pay their cost and due to this the web sites hosted by these resellers disappear from the internet. We advise you not to establish your website with a reseller as the probability of you becoming upset with the quality of service is high.

Resellers aren’t the only hosts to worry about, and we acknowledge that not all reseller hosts are terrible.

Although you indicated that not all reseller hosts are bad, I urge you to reconsider that statement about resellers in general.

We have many reseller clients that generate more revenue then we do as providers. You see, a successful reseller often simply utilizes hosting services as a value add to their existing services. For example, our largest reseller customer has developed and sells a shopping cart solution for eCommerce. They generate significant revenue in license sales, product development and customization - and simply utilize our hosting services as an option for their customers and as a way to increase the recurring revenue stream - however, they have no intention of actually entering the hosting market and managing servers, etc...

Unfortunately, the situation you have outlined does occur, and sadly, it has impacted the reputation of resellers as a whole - however, if a reseller provides value added services, and the core provider is stable and reliable - the overall service an end user receives can many times be better through a reseller then through the provider directly (as they can better support their application for example as well as the associated hosting services for that application)

Anyway, that all aside - well written article and I am certain many people will see value in it...
  • CartikaHosting
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • CartikaHosting
  • Loc: Wishing I was in Kicking Horse

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
There is no web host that can guarantee 100% uptime, however this is done often by many hosting companies. 99.9% uptime is the most commonly listed uptime by hosting companies, but we estimate the uptime of respected hosts to be around 98%.

Also - thought I would touch on this...

Every host should be able to maintain a 99.9% uptime. Certainly incidents will occassionally occur which will push some servers below that number, but, on the whole, with decent infrastructure, even basic redundancy and pro-active management - 99.9% is not difficult to attain over a prolonged period of time..
  • agent14
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • agent14
  • Loc: Barbados

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:

Also - thought I would touch on this...

Every host should be able to maintain a 99.9% uptime. Certainly incidents will occassionally occur which will push some servers below that number, but, on the whole, with decent infrastructure, even basic redundancy and pro-active management - 99.9% is not difficult to attain over a prolonged period of time..

I have to agree.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 4 posts