webhost resellers

• onauc
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • onauc

Post 3+ Months Ago

My Own Webhosting Service

I was on the look-out for a webhost that will provide me around 300-500 gigabytes of bandwidth because I intend to stream audio and video files aswell as offer them for download to my website visitors.
Anyway, tonight I was thinking that maybe I should seriously think about getting into reselling webhosting because that way I can not only raise my website running costs each month but also make some good profits on the side.
You see, I am not working at the moment and I thought that if I can some-how start a hosting business from home and earn atleast $800/month then that would be enough for me to make a living for the time being.
Right now, I am not thinking of purchasing my own server nor acquire my own high speed internet connection. I think it’s best to sign-up to a popular reseller program and then create webhosting packages for resale purposes.
So, does anyone know of a popular reseller program out there that has been tried, tested, reviewed and proven to be to satisfaction ?
Please list the ones you recommend by ranking the best ones starting from the top going down to least best aswell as provide details why you recommend these.
Also, don’t forget to warn me of those that are worth avoiding by giving reasons why I should avoid them.
I would also like advice on :

1. pros and cons on re-selling hosting
2. what catches (pitfalls) I should look-out for when purchasing hosting for reselling purpose
3. what pitfalls I should look-out for when reselling webhosting to my customers
4. how much resources and what features I should make sure to get from my seller to resell to my buyers
5. what packages (how much webspaces and bandwidths) I should offer for sale at what prices
6. how I can influence you to buy hosting from me so you forget your existing hosts.

Before giving me any advice from your experiences check this website out thoroughly as you might learn some-thing new and then come-up with good advice, tips, suggestions, feed-backs for me :

http://www.webhostingunleashed.com/dedi ... ervers.php

I am thinking of reselling Unix/Linux hosting.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• jnacool
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi,

First off I might mention to you that you need to be prepared to work your arse off to design, implement and run a web hosting site. Preparing the site however may seem easy compared to running a company which brings in £800 single handedly. It would be quite difficult to open a site and get such a good turnover, so the idea of not working might not be such a great one. I am seriously not trying to put you off, running a company however is a large responsibility.

As for servers, personally I would avoid a company called Equivity they recently lost a whole server worth of information and sites when they formatted “the wrong drive” they also had large amounts of down time, they did however offer decent enough support. Test a few companies response times after the festive season and go for one of the quickest because there is nothing worse than having to wait for a response to an urgent problem. Plan out your packages well, and choice a reasonable price not too cheap not too expensive, then work on your goals and aims where would you like to be in a year? Is it worth buying other domains in case you expand for example a company named Gingerhosting.com may also look at buying gingerdomains.com or gingergroups.org.

If you need anymore help or advice feel free to PM me, or f you need any ideas for packages or plans then check my site and the others on this board.

Jack
  • CartikaHosting
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • CartikaHosting
  • Loc: Wishing I was in Kicking Horse

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hello onauc,

Well - the questions you have asked are EXTREMELY open ended - with no real answer available. However, I will try to provide you some things to think about:

Quote:
1. pros and cons on re-selling hosting

Well - simply too many of these to list. I think you can figure this one out on your own

Quote:
2. what catches (pitfalls) I should look-out for when purchasing hosting for reselling purpose

Biggest pitfall is making the right decision with respect to a provider. Getting customers in this business is difficult - especially when you are first starting out. Losing them because of bad service is downright deflating. I cannot stress this enough - DO NOT purchase the cheapest reseller packages you can find - you will be destined for problems and will more then likely lose many customers over this. Make sure you choose a provider that has clustered their resources, has a solid uptime record and most importantly, will be there for the long run.

Quote:
3. what pitfalls I should look-out for when reselling webhosting to my customers

Again - see above. If you are on an unreliable service - the amount of time you will spend trying to save the customers you have vs spending your time getting new customers is enourmous. Believe me - saving $10 or $20 or $30 a month is not worth it. Choose the right provider from the start.

Quote:
4. how much resources and what features I should make sure to get from my seller to resell to my buyers
5. what packages (how much webspaces and bandwidths) I should offer for sale at what prices
6. how I can influence you to buy hosting from me so you forget your existing hosts.

I have grouped these together for a reason - you are basically asking the same question in all 3 points above.

Let me be blunt - you CANNOT sell hosting on price and get anywhere. The market is saturated and there will always be many many people cheaper then you - although 90% of these companies will disappear within the year. If you are serious about entering this industry - find your value add - why should consumers buy from you vs someone else? Why should consumers pay you more then they will pay someone else? There needs to be value here - or you are wasting your time.

In your particular example - if you have an application you sell - ie) your proposed compression algorithm - then sell that WITH hosting packages - instant value add. Suddenly the price of hosting is irrelavent - as what you are reallin selling is your compression algorithm and a means for people to use it.

Consumers see value in this sort of thing - and rightfully so.

There's other ways to approach this - but, I'll put it this way - if you want to make $800/month simply reselling hosting - you're in for a long haul. If you want to make $800/month reselling a hosted solution - Id say you can accomplish this very quickly if you have the right solution and the ability to "pound the pavement" and make sales.
  • Angelina
  • Born
  • Born
  • Angelina
  • Loc: In front of my computer .. always !

Post 3+ Months Ago

onauc wrote:
I was on the look-out for a webhost that will provide me around 300-500 gigabytes of bandwidth because I intend to stream audio and video files aswell as offer them for download to my website visitors.

If you decide against the headaches of running your own hosting company .. in regard to your initial question above ..

GoDaddy has a plan with 10G space and 500G bandwidth .. $34.95
  • websiteunited
  • Born
  • Born
  • websiteunited
  • Loc: New York, USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hello,
Reseller hosting is actually clever... if you find a good host, they will be able to provide for a low costing solution if you start off. From there, you would generate profits to grow and hopefully upgrade to a dedicated server from which you may even provide reseller plans yourself.

It was not hard to start off for me.... a year ago, when i quickly upgraded. This is something you may want to put into consideration.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 5 posts