What kind of server do I need?

• audiolounge
  • Born
  • Born
  • audiolounge
  • Loc: Oregon

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hello everyone, I was wondering if someone could help me:
I have a website that I am hosting on my home computer.

Windows XP Pro
512 MB DDR Memory
60 Gig HD
AMD Athlon XP 2200
Cable Internet (Through router)

Now the site doesn't recieve too many hits maybe a couple hundred per day. I was wondering if I should purchase a dedicated server machine or what. I plan to boost the traffic greatly in the next year or so but I don't want to spend more than $1000...

So my question is:
Do I need a dedicated server, if so with what specs, and what kind of prices can i expect to see?
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• genxservers
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • genxservers

Post 3+ Months Ago

I sent you a pm
  • rjstephens
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Loc: Brisbane, Australia

Post 3+ Months Ago

pleaes do not deal with this spammer.

As for your question, hosting is so cheap nowadays that you can get heaps of great deals. Even if your getting 2000 hits a day, you don't need a dedicated server. I suggest going to http://yrhost.com/ and signing up there for either their $25/year plan or their $50/year plan. I use them, the're great.

When your ready to move up to a dedicated server (trust me, a shared hosting account should be able to take a LOT of hits, and will probably last you a LONG time) I suggest (note I don't say "recommend") http://servepath.com/ . I did some work for a client who hand one of them. I would have one myself but i can't justify the cost.
  • genxservers
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • genxservers

Post 3+ Months Ago

I guess i should thank you for trying to make this work a better place by keeping spammer out of forums.

But I just wanted to clarify that I am not a spammer and ask that if you dont like how I post, then please let me know on ONE post at a time.

I came here as all of you as a webdesigner wanting to improve his skills. I just also wanted to offer my services where I can. I dont think this is wrong.

Thank you.
  • joker
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • joker

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
Even if your getting 2000 hits a day, you don't need a dedicated server.

I absolutely agree with rjstephens and I think you don't have to purchase the dedicated server until you won't have enormously large amount of hits. So you can buy shared web hosting for no more than $100/year or the best variant for you I think is to order shared web hosting with per gigabyte traffic plans. But if you want only dedicated hosting - the prices on quality and stable dedicated servers starting usually from $150/month. [/b]
  • Tom the Great
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: B.C., Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

I thought this guy wanted to have his own server from his house?

But getting hosting from a hosting service would be better because people won't have to through your cable internet to get to the server. Like people have been saying, hosting is dirt cheap.

If you want your own server out of your house anyway, I suggest just getting a linux and/or unix (just freeBSD or something) box. You don't really need something super pwoerful IMO, if you are just doin this for fun.
  • audiolounge
  • Born
  • Born
  • audiolounge
  • Loc: Oregon

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks for all of the input guys... I think im going to buy some moderatly cheap hosting.. thanks again :) :)

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 7 posts