What makes a server load websites faster?

• eranet
  • Born
  • Born
  • eranet
  • Loc: HK

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi,

I am a webdeveloper who has recently deployed a large eCommerce website. The server we have is of a fairly high spec :

CPU : Intel Xeon E3-1240
3.3GHz Quad-Core,
8 Threads & 8MB Cache

Ram : 8GB DDR3 1333MHz

100Mbit connection

The website is built in asp net and uses SQL Server Express

What we are finding is that locally our page load times are half a second but on the server it is 4 - 5 seconds. I'm struggling to get an answer from the hosting company as to what we can do to improve this (website is optimised as much as possible).

Any suggestions would be much appreciated!

Thanks in advance!
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Liamw411
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Liamw411
  • Loc: United Kingdom

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi, I am by no means an asp guru but I will try to help you nevertheless.

It may be worthwhile to time your pages and specific functions to get an idea of how long your code takes to run.

Is this a dedicated or shared server?
Do you have root/admin privileges?

Does this problem only occur on the initial page load, then fine thereafter. Or does it occur on every page all the time?
If the problem only occurs on the initial page load this issue could be the asp compiler terminating after a set amount of time, if this is the case and you have root access the issue is easily remedied by manually changing the settings.

Are you able to, or have you tried an alternative server setup?
Maybe try to use Apache instead of IIS, and vice versa.
  • this213
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: ./

Post 3+ Months Ago

I realize this is old, but...
eranet wrote:
What we are finding is that locally our page load times are half a second but on the server it is 4 - 5 seconds. I'm struggling to get an answer from the hosting company as to what we can do to improve this (website is optimised as much as possible).

This points to a large amount of data being sent over the wire. If it were a processing problem, the site would load at near the same speeds locally and remotely. If you're sending a lot of data back to the user, it's going to take time to get it through the network. Take a look at the file size of any images you're sending and see what's sending from your code that doesn't need to be.
  • visio
  • visio

Post 3+ Months Ago

is it your own server or a shared hosting? It might be the database, try to optimize it using phpmyadmin and check with your host is the file at /etc/my.cnf is optimized, this in case it is your own server, if not ask the host to check it.

if the server is yours you might try litespeed, doesn't cost much, try the 2 weeks free trial.
  • John_Smith
  • Born
  • Born

Post 3+ Months Ago

The most important thing that affects the loading time is size of website content and data. If your website contains a lagre ammount of data it will take too long time for loading.
  • mar21
  • Born
  • Born
  • mar21
  • Loc: Vienna

Post 3+ Months Ago

eranet wrote:
Hi,

I am a webdeveloper who has recently deployed a large eCommerce website. The server we have is of a fairly high spec :

CPU : Intel Xeon E3-1240
3.3GHz Quad-Core,
8 Threads & 8MB Cache

Ram : 8GB DDR3 1333MHz

100Mbit connection

The website is built in asp net and uses SQL Server Express

Any suggestions would be much appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

Try to make some changes in your .htaccess to use Gzip for files to get transfer faster between the server and the client side. If you have lot of images in your Ecommerce site, make some Caching adjustment too.

If this does not improve the performances, then you go advanced!

Mar
  • postcd
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • postcd

Post 3+ Months Ago

1-5 seconds is quite average load time, if its remote location from other country than yours is, then its quite not extraordinary load time.

on localhost its certain it will load much faster.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 7 posts