What do I need to run MUD games on my webspace?

• Walton
  • Born
  • Born
  • Walton

Post 3+ Months Ago

Me and one of my friends are busy coding our own MUD game (multi user dimension) and we need to know what we need to install on our webspace (http://www.mindfire.k1z.com) to get a Telnet (or SSH) server working.

I'm not good with anything to do with server stuff, and we've been looking into MUD hosts, but they are expensive and the cheapest are just crud anyway. Clearly we need some stuff installed on our own webspace and we're just wondering what we need...

Any help would be great!

From what I can see, I need something for Telnet (and from what I can see thats something to do with Java), something to run the LPC (coding that is used to make the game), and uh... some more stuff...

If you're wondering what a MUD is - go here -
http://discworld.atuin.net/lpc/
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Ub3rl33t
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Ub3rl33t

Post 3+ Months Ago

Telnet is a type of connection that you can establish to a server. There is also the good old standard FTP in which you can use. I think someone maybe telling you to use Telnet or SSH because you have coded it in perl. Well, if you have coded it then you know the type of execution it needs.

I how ever, have my own web server with FTP, Telnet and SSH connections avliable. If you send it to me i can test it out for you as this is what i am looking for.

If you already have an avliable Telnet or SSH connection then find a program called Putty.
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: Sub-level 28

Post 3+ Months Ago

you need to speak to your hosting company first to find out if they will allow it. A Mud is a daemon, a server, not something that just comes down the wep pipeline like HTML pages and graphics. It will need to be loaded 24/7 - which many admins won't allow.

And you will need Shell acess (and probably your own crontab file) to run it successfully.
  • Walton
  • Born
  • Born
  • Walton

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks for the help, keep it coming if you can, I'll look into what you've said.
  • omirix
  • Banned
  • Banned
  • Loc: 127.0.0.1

Post 3+ Months Ago

You cannot do it with a web host. You need a shell account, I can hook you up with one if needed, because 99% of shell accounts that offer this are paid and restricted. :-\
  • Walton
  • Born
  • Born
  • Walton

Post 3+ Months Ago

That would be great - would it cost anything though?
  • tbowick
  • Born
  • Born
  • tbowick
  • Loc: Orlando

Post 3+ Months Ago

Sorry to spam, just wanted to say it's nice to know MUDs haven't died. I almost failed out of college when MUDs were invented! I played on Midian and Realms of Despair, and about a hundred others. Keep up the fight to get it going!

Ciao!

Tony

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 7 posts