what do u recommend for a dedicated first timer?

• sallam
  • sallam

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi

Apologies if this is answered elsewhere, if so, kindly just post the link here.
I need to get a dedicated server. I'm on a low budget, so serverpronto's $30 AMD2000 server is very good for me. The problem is that I'll be on my own there, with little or no support. So, its for those who know how to do things, not for newbies.
Thats why I need to learn first before I get my first dedicated server.

Is there any tutorials available for newbies, on how to setup and maintain your first dedicated server?
I even dont know what does the server comes pre-installed with and whats not. They say they install Linux and webmin for free, but what about: apache server? php, mysql server, dns server, ftp server? mail server? do I setup those on my own? or are these included in webmin?
and what about 'optimization' I hear a server runs much faster when its 'optimized' but dont know how to do that? or whether the host optimized it for me, or do I have to do it myself...

And if I need to setup a testbed server in my computer to learn on, what software do I need for that?

Any hints or advices are much appreciated, and also any links to simple newbie tutorials or reads are much appreciated.
Many thanks in advance.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• CartikaHosting
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • CartikaHosting
  • Loc: Wishing I was in Kicking Horse

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi Sallam - those are some heavy duty questions there...

Regarding the initial install and configuration - only the provider can answer those questions - but, for $30/month, I wouldnt expect much...

May I ask why you need to run a dedicated server? Have you considered looking at a reseller account or a VPS solution (a VPS would still require server management skills) - but, some of the load - higher level, overall server hardening will be done by your provider...

If you are going to be running something where uptime is important to you - I would really avoid getting your own, unmanaged dedicated server at this point - as the questions you have raised indicate you will run into trouble. If this is juts a hobby, and uptime is unimportant, and you dont mind learning along the way - then, this may be worth trying out - if for nothing else - just to gain the experience...

If you go the dedicated server route - determine which control panel you will be running (if any at all) - and read over their technical specs on latest supported versions of apache, mysql, php and Zend Optimizer.

Also - determine which applications (if any) you plan on running and make sure you understand what requirements they have regarding versions of the above. For example - if you need to run an app that isnt compatible with php 5 - done be loading it up - even if your CP is compliant....

Make sure you have someone take a look at your server once its configured (maybe a friend, or someone else with good experience that you could work out a swap of services for maybe??) - just to do an overall scan of basic security and performance and help get you going in the right direction...
  • sallam
  • sallam

Post 3+ Months Ago

thanks CartikaHosting for the reply.
I need a dedicated server because my forum, currently on shared hosting, is taking up much server resources, and I was asked to move elsewhere 2 times.
But I cannot offord a managed server. So, I want take some time to learn how to setup and run a dedicated, before I actually pay for one.
Serverpronto gives you the $30 server (amd 2000/256mb ram) with linux and webmin installed for free. I need to know: what else will I have to setup there, in addition to those 2? do I have to install php?
and is there a way to learn how to use webmin offline, I mean without having to get a real server?
Is it possible to setup a 'testbed' server in my computer to learn on? is there software to use to make such setup avialable on my computer?
  • turner99202
  • Born
  • Born
  • turner99202

Post 3+ Months Ago

I just started using http://www.esecuredata.com since March, 2006 and have been really happy. I have a P4 server with 2048MB ram and 1000GB bandwidth for only $59/month. They definitely target the tech savvy customer but that being said - I am so why pay for managed services that I don't need?

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 4 posts