what size of web hosting space can i use for this project!

• dhoyin
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • dhoyin
  • Loc: west africa

Post 3+ Months Ago

i have a project to design a site to bring over 10,000 students of a school together and every student would have a profile and a forum as big as this site (ozzu.com). please i wish to know what size of web hosting space would be okay for such site. will mysql database be ok to handle the database.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• john551
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • john551

Post 3+ Months Ago

Many web hosts are offering 5 to 10 GB of disk space. So go for one. And if your site becomes successful as this site and your database increses, you can always buy more space.

You can find list of hosts offering packages of upto 10 GB at
http://www.web-hosting-world.com/top-10-web-hosts.php
  • TomK
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Loc: Ontario, Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

You probaly don't need as much space as you think. Anything over 1 GB would probaly be enough. The thing you need to worry about is the data transfer limit (sometimes known as bandwidth) since it sounds like a lot of people will be accessing your website.
  • CartikaHosting
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • CartikaHosting
  • Loc: Wishing I was in Kicking Horse

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hello dhoyin,

Space and bandwith really will be mostly irrelavant. You can certainly start with something in the 1-2GB disk space range and 10-20 GB bandwith -

However, what you really need to consider is # of simultaneous users - specifically on a data base driven site. This sort of requirement could easily require a dedicated server or more pretty quickly.

Hope this helps...
  • Nem
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Nem
  • Loc: UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

1-2GB space? Are you guys crazy?

To setup a forum only takes 15-25MB.
  • TomK
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

Nem wrote:

If the forum grows and starts hosting lots of pictures/videos it would be good to have the extra space. It's dirt cheap for that much space, so you may as well get it.
  • Nem
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Nem
  • Loc: UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

Dirt cheap could mean overselling for that type of spec. Maximum 300MB in my opinion. Thats alot of space there.
  • TomK
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

Nem wrote:
Dirt cheap could mean overselling for that type of spec. Maximum 300MB in my opinion. Thats alot of space there.

Hard drives are dirt cheap nowadays. It costs less than $1 for a GB.
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: Sub-level 28

Post 3+ Months Ago

Nem wrote:

Yes, but if it does get as big as he hopes, that SQL database is going to need space too.

I've one site that has a MySQL database of around 500Meg right now (and growing by about a meg daily), it soon builds up. :)

Even if your database only goes up by 250K/day, that's about 90-100Meg after a year (assuming you don't add a lot of content yourself initially to get the ball rolling - in which case it could be much larger).
  • CartikaHosting
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • CartikaHosting

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:

To addto Axe's comments here - the OP mentioned and environment with a potential for 10,000 members - avatars, sig images, profile images, etc.... Really thinking about this - I dont think 1 gig will cut it...

Quote:
Hard drives are dirt cheap nowadays. It costs less than $1 for a GB

please dont pass around info like that. If you want to speak actual costs (since we are talking about price for hosting here) - dont speak cost per GB in terms of actual cost of buying IDE hard drives from bestbuy or something - because this does not directly relate into cost per GB of storage to the consumer - nowhere even close...

Once you consider scsi, raid, local backup, off site backup, spare drives, etc etc etc - these costs escalate quite quickly - and this is just pure cost of disk space we are talking about here....
  • Uncensored-Hosting
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Los Angeles

Post 3+ Months Ago

I think you guys missed an important part of the equation here. The TS has stated that each of the 10,000 students will have access to a forum the size of ozzu. That's a really tall order and much different than a single website with 10,000 members. A project of this magnitude would minimally require a high end dedicated server to start. Additionally a budget to add more servers at a moment's notice would be necessary. I'm sure ozzu is running on more than one server. Multiply that by 10,000 and then we get a clearer picture.

The only mitigating factor here are that it will take some time for each of the 10,000 students to build a forum the size of ozzu. Nevertheless I would start by deploying a dedicated server with a minimum:

Dual Xeon P4 2.8+
2GB+ RAM
Dual 73GB SCSI Drives

Plus a low end off site server for remote backups.

Regards,
Gus
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

I didn't miss any part of the equation. Even with 10,000 students, they'd all have to post 25 posts each on the first day of opening for it to be "the size of ozzu" - that's where your storage space comes in. Like you said though, that's the factor, how long will it take.

I have one site right now that gets more posts per month than Ozzu, but it's not "the size of ozzu" because it has about 100,000 posts LESS then Ozzu in the database.

That server sounds very familiar. ev1? :)
  • Uncensored-Hosting
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Los Angeles

Post 3+ Months Ago

lol we don't have any servers at EV1. Nor do we any business with them. Those are merely the minimum specs I would launch this project with.

Axe wrote:

That server sounds very familiar. ev1? :)
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ahhh, they have servers with almost identical specs.

I myself rent one from them that's the almost the same as you listed, pair of 73Gig Ultra-wide SCSIs, 2Gig RAM, except that it has a pair of Xeon 2Ghz processors.
  • CartikaHosting
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • CartikaHosting

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
I myself rent one from them that's the almost the same as you listed, pair of 73Gig Ultra-wide SCSIs, 2Gig RAM, except that it has a pair of Xeon 2Ghz processors.

Sounds like a nice little unit - now, I know nothing about these guys - are these white box towers?

Out of curiosity, what do they charge for these things?
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

This is where all their servers are listed (with the "extras" prices - more RAM, extra IPs, software, hard drives, etc).

Right now they have dual Xeon 2.4Ghz servers available with 2Gig RAM and a pair of 73Gigs with Cpanel for $299/mo (2TB/mo bandwidth).
  • CartikaHosting
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • CartikaHosting

Post 3+ Months Ago

yeah - thats about right - a little cheaper then we would sell them for - I figure its a volume thing, or, they are using white boxes...

Eitherway, always curious to see what people are doing :)
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

I would hazard a guess that it's based on volume. They lease absolutely masses of systems - fortunately, I don't need to use their "support" very often. I've had no bad experiences myself at all, but I have heard others mention their support leaves a fair bit to be desired. :)
  • CartikaHosting
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • CartikaHosting

Post 3+ Months Ago

well - support only matters if you arent self sufficient - other then that, all you want is the network to be up and for them to reboot occassionally for you (though, DRAC cards on Dell are SWEET for that) - and yes, Im assuming they give you some sort of remote reboot...

Do you know what hardware they are using?

We just added a white label brand to compete a little more with this sort of pricing - but, if they can do that with Dell's or HP's - Im impressed :)
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well, from what I gather it's Dells they're using. Beyond that, I'm not sure of the specifics (Bigweb might know).

Yes, there's remote reboots available through your user control panel - they've even made it fully automated now, although I've only had to use that feature a handful of times since first getting the server 3 years ago.

The server I rent from them is self-managed, I do everything myself; Which is why I've not needed to use their support much. But, I see a lot of people who don't really know what they're doing screwing up their configs, installing things they shouldn't, removing things they don't really know how to remove, locking themselves out of their boxes when setting up firewalls, etc. and requiring restores from system disks, reboots (it used to be you'd put in a request, and a human would go power cycle your box before it became automated) - but when you're renting a self-managed server, and you don't know what you're doing, you pretty much deserve anything that happens to you as a result of your own screwups, heh. You've really nobody else to blame but yourself.

I'm happy with their service, although I do wish they'd start offering dual Athlon 64 servers :)
  • CartikaHosting
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • CartikaHosting

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
but when you're renting a self-managed server, and you don't know what you're doing, you pretty much deserve anything that happens to you as a result of your own screwups, heh. You've really nobody else to blame but yourself.

LOL - absolutely correct !!!

true value is in managed services for these customers - but, many simply dont want to pay for that - so, as you so correctly stated "no one else to blame" :)

thanks for the info - love seeing what other people are doing and what the results have been for them...
  • ranochio
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • ranochio

Post 3+ Months Ago

i have the right article founded for you
http://www.hosting-buyers-guide.com/ar/ ... -Space.php

i am sure this will help you
thanks
  • webee
  • Born
  • Born