• susancbk
  • Loc: New York City

Post 3+ Months Ago

Here's what i'm looking for.

a shared web hosting account that supports php/mySQL AND asp/Access
multiple domains, preferable with some included
about 2000 mb space
between 5.00-10.00 dollars a month

so far the closest ive seen is brinkster.com, however, they only have 1000 mb of space. GoDaddy has the space, but no free domain names.

Any other suggestions?
  • CartikaHosting
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • CartikaHosting
  • Loc: Wishing I was in Kicking Horse

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hello Susancbk,

Any Windows hosting account will accomodate what you are looking for. However, typically, there are chronic issues running PHP/MySQL on a windows box - though, Ive never had too many issues.

Once possible solution is to look at a small reseller account with a provider that offers dual platform soltuions - however, Im not sure you can accomplish that within your budget...
  • TomK
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Loc: Ontario, Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

Just wondering why you need MySQL and Access? Since each is designed for a different OS, you're just looking for problems.

Sorry, I probaly haven't been very helpful.
  • susancbk
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • susancbk

Post 3+ Months Ago

well ive recently took a class on asp. so I know it and can currently use it. However, i'd like to learn php. Also, as a web designer, different clients/employers ask for different things, so I'd like to know both and be able to use both..
Does this make sense?
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I find myself in the same dilemna. And it is hard to find a host that provides both at a modest price. Frankly I think you're looking at a minimum of $30 a month to get both. Let's put it this way. I've never found any I would trust for less.
  • susancbk
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • susancbk

Post 3+ Months Ago

both godaddy and brinkster offer both
  • CartikaHosting
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • CartikaHosting

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
Frankly I think you're looking at a minimum of $30 a month to get both

Id say thats about right for a high quality dual platform solution...
  • CartikaHosting
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • CartikaHosting

Post 3+ Months Ago

susancbk wrote:
well ive recently took a class on asp. so I know it and can currently use it. However, i'd like to learn php. Also, as a web designer, different clients/employers ask for different things, so I'd like to know both and be able to use both..
Does this make sense?

Hello,

Considering this requirement - take a look at H-Sphere Reseller providers. Most offer dual platform support within 1 reseller solution. This is a perfect fit for designers/developers that require the flexibility of hosting and developing on both platforms.

I can recommend http://www.diyhosting.com - however, their lowest end package is around $60.

Hope this helps...
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

Keep in mind susancbk, that experimenting around wiath ASP and mdb (Access) databases is fine, but I caution you that they do not handle a high volume of concurrent use very well. On one of my current Windows hosts, for example, I once tried a very nice BBS asp forum fomat, very similar to this one and if I got more than a dozen or so concurrent users, my forum basically shut down on me.

To have any kind of efficiency with ASP and databases, you really should expect to use SQL server. My experience so far is that the rough average price for a Windows host with ASP, SQL Server and PHP is between $30 to $50 and that's just for one SQL database. Myc current plan let's me have ASP and Access database for $25. I should probably switch that but I have personal reasons not to).
  • susancbk
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • susancbk

Post 3+ Months Ago

brinksters professional package for 7.95 says its supports the following:
ASP 3.0
ASP.NET
PHP
100 MB MySQL Database Included
MS Access

godaddy also says something similar. Am I reading this wrong since everyone says using asp/php will cost me 30+ ?
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

I never heard of or looked at Brinkster before so I have no recommendations. However their packages are quite attractive for shared hosting. I would suggest the developer plan though since you initially asked for 2GB space (plus it includes a SQL 2000 database which beats the crap out of Access for performance.) For $17.95 that's still a steal.
  • rDolay
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • rDolay

Post 3+ Months Ago

susancbk wrote:
Here's what i'm looking for.

a shared web hosting account that supports php/mySQL AND asp/Access
multiple domains, preferable with some included
about 2000 mb space
between 5.00-10.00 dollars a month

so far the closest ive seen is brinkster.com, however, they only have 1000 mb of space. GoDaddy has the space, but no free domain names.

Any other suggestions?

come on.. do you also want a host that also cook for you ?
php/mySQL AND asp/Access i yet to heard any host that can provide both of them for the same hosting account [except cPanel private modification for ASP but can not be include access nor MsSQL ]
brinskter.com and hosting? i also never heard their name since my 4 years of hosting business experience..

Btw. brinskter.com huh a hosting page that have damn ad popups...
  • CartikaHosting
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • CartikaHosting

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
php/mySQL AND asp/Access i yet to heard any host that can provide both of them for the same hosting account

Well, in all fairness, Windows does "support" all of the above.....

Quote:
[except cPanel private modification for ASP but can not be include access nor MsSQL

Any linux server can run ASP with the chilisoft module - however, it is flaky.

The only true solution for both windows and linux capable of running php,mysql,mssql,asp and access from a single interface is a dual platform, clustered, h-sphere service...
  • susancbk
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • susancbk

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
come on.. do you also want a host that also cook for you ?

Lol, everyone makes it out like this is some grace of god i'm asking for.
First of all, both brinkster and godaddy offer VERY close to those very requirements i'm looking for. Brinkster is just a little short on the space, and godaddy is just short on the domain names. However they both will run asp and php for me. I figure if these two services were ALMOST exactly what I wanted, I should make a post, and maybe out of the gazillion hosts there would be one with exactly what I want.

I'm not running some huge commercial site. I'm talking a SMALL buisness, a personal site, and perhaps another small site.

Quote:
php/mySQL AND asp/Access i yet to heard any host that can provide both of them for the same hosting account

how can you say that when I just listed two?? There are many others other there that I came across as well, just didnt have some of the other requirements I wanted.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

Susan -- you might have missed my suggestion, but brinkster's development plan does give you the 2GB you wanted. That extra gig plus the sql server is well worth the extra $7.95 a month over your $10 budget.

If you are going to try to develop ASP database applications in the future it would benefit you tremendously to use SQL instead of Access.
  • rDolay
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • rDolay

Post 3+ Months Ago

CartikaHosting wrote:
Quote:

Well, in all fairness, Windows does "support" all of the above.....

so why dont you give a plan or service link here that offers both of them at the same plan ?
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

Here's something very close at $15.95 (2 year plan)
http://interland.com/shared/business_de ... rm=windows

Offers both ASP and PHP4 as well as .NET and your choice of MySql or Sql database. Since PHP works with a SQL database the plan contains everything you need at a good price. Plus 2.5 GB space and a generous bandwidth.

A distinct advantage is a dedicated IP address which you don't get on most shared hosting.

I can also speak for nearly 6 years of service with Interland on not only my own account but also several clients, that I've had next to ZERO down time on any of them and the service has been excellent.
  • CartikaHosting
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • CartikaHosting

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
so why dont you give a plan or service link here that offers both of them at the same plan ?

Dolay,

Im no really sure why you find this so difficult - but, this is not an unusual requirement. We offer this for example (though Im not going to post a link) - however, I always recommend people host php/mysql from a linux platform and asp/mssql/access/coldfusion from a windows box...

Having said this, if someone is hell bent on running php/mysql/asp/access/mssql/coldfusion from a windows box, we, and many others, can most certainly accomodate this...
  • Fitness4Living
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Belfast, Ireland

Post 3+ Months Ago

IX webhosting
Used them for a few months and they have good service at good prices.
Link in sig.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 19 posts