When buying an IP from your host

• meman
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: London Town , Apples and pears and all that crap

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi..

I'm starting a new project with an friend of mine and we need our site to be accessible from both a domain name and an IP address.
I know some hosts (most) allow you to buy an IP for a couple of dollars a month, but if we do this would we be able to access the site with http://123.123.123.123 and domain.com?

It's really important that the site is accessible from an IP,, But someone i know purchased an IP and they get an error about vhosts settings when they try to access the site with the ip.

oh yeh, and is there any host you would reccomend for this?
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Cari.net
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Cari.net
  • Loc: San Diego, California

Post 3+ Months Ago

As long as the IP is assigned to your site then it should work that way
  • VanHost
  • Born
  • Born
  • VanHost

Post 3+ Months Ago

As Cari.net has mentioned, so long as your host has designated a dedicated IP address to your account only, you should be able to access your site via the IP address and/or the domain name.
  • Uncensored-Hosting
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Los Angeles

Post 3+ Months Ago

Agreed.
  • rDolay
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • rDolay

Post 3+ Months Ago

meman wrote:
Hi..

I'm starting a new project with an friend of mine and we need our site to be accessible from both a domain name and an IP address.
I know some hosts (most) allow you to buy an IP for a couple of dollars a month, but if we do this would we be able to access the site with http://123.123.123.123 and domain.com?

It's really important that the site is accessible from an IP,, But someone i know purchased an IP and they get an error about vhosts settings when they try to access the site with the ip.

Ofcourse you should but do not plan to use [promote] the IP instead your web-site domain which is forbidden by the only IP provider ARIN.
  • VP-Kaumil
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • VP-Kaumil
  • Loc: Toronto

Post 3+ Months Ago

You also have to justify the reason for using a "dedicated IP" as ARIN is watching the usage closely now.
  • Mike.P
  • Born
  • Born
  • Mike.P

Post 3+ Months Ago

meman wrote:
Hi..

Hi, if it is a IP dedicated to your site, you should be able to access it via its IP. In your's friend's case, it could be due to a late DNS update by his ISP.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 7 posts