windows and unix

• wassy
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • wassy

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ok i have a bit of a noob question but what does it mean when some hosts have unix and windows hosting does that mean to get a unix hosting package you have to have unix on your computer and to have a windows hosting package you have to have window on you computer im just wondering because unix plans are a bit cheaper than windows plans but i have a window os could someone explain this to me please.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Daemonguy
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Somewhere outside the box in Sarasota, FL.

Post 3+ Months Ago

It means that the host itself is either running Windows or Unix.

From your perspective, speaking entirely functionally, there's no difference. The way in which you will interact with the host is exactly the same -- or at least very similar.

Now how the host itself functions, that is entirely another story.
  • wassy
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • wassy

Post 3+ Months Ago

ok thanks but what is the difference is windows better or something because it is usually at least a dollar more for the same package
  • xfahmix
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Cork, Ireland

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have no idea why most of the windows hosting is more expensive, probably because the license to run Windows based server is more expensive compared to linux server.

More important factor is what kind of script that you want to install and run for your site. PHP scripts can be installed in Linux server while Windows server can run ASP and ASP.net.

Many of the opensource scripts are available for linux server (PHP) so if you have no idea where to start, I recommend you to get a linux based server instead.
  • wassy
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • wassy

Post 3+ Months Ago

ok thanks a lot for the info
  • Uncensored-Hosting
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Los Angeles

Post 3+ Months Ago

Windows is also subjected to more security and virus exploits than *nix based OS's. IMO Windows are less stable and require more reboots also. However I'm sure some will disagree. The cost difference is due to the fact that almost all software on a Windows server is fee based while *nix based servers are the exact opposite. You should also know that php can be run on Windows and ASP can run on *nix based boxes. I personally would not do it but there are those that will, do and swear by it.
  • wassy
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • wassy

Post 3+ Months Ago

ok just one more question does that mean i have to switch all my .html files to .php files for a linux server?
  • Daemonguy
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

No. :)
  • wassy
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • wassy

Post 3+ Months Ago

ok sweet thx again for all the info
  • john551
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • john551

Post 3+ Months Ago

Learn more about linux vs windows at http://www.web-hosting-world.com/linux-windows.php
  • Lukus
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Lukus
  • Loc: UK - Essex

Post 3+ Months Ago

Uncensored-Hosting wrote:
Windows is also subjected to more security and virus exploits than *nix based OS's. IMO Windows are less stable and require more reboots also. However I'm sure some will disagree.

No one can disagree! It's true! :)

Example, most of our Linux boxes have uptimes now of 3yrs plus, most windows boxes had to be reset the other week for updates! Well, that or a crash, can't remember :P The reason that Windows is generally more expensive, in our case anyhows, is that as someone pointed out, the licenses are more expensive, and also there's alot more maintenance that'll have to be done on a windows box, rather than a box running Linux mainly due to stability.
  • CartikaHosting
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • CartikaHosting
  • Loc: Wishing I was in Kicking Horse

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
Example, most of our Linux boxes have uptimes now of 3yrs plus

You havent rebooted your linux boxesin 3 yrs !

How do you apply patches and such? Havne you needed to upgrade RAM or something in all that time?

Quote:
No one can disagree! It's true!

We run both *nix and Windows servers and I am not certain I agree that one is "better" then the other - they both have their respective advantages and disadvantages.
  • Uncensored-Hosting
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Los Angeles

Post 3+ Months Ago

3yrs is indicative of neglect not stability. Minimally patches and kernel upgrades need to be performed. These alone occur at least once per year and almost always require a reboot to take effect.
  • CartikaHosting
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • CartikaHosting
  • Loc: Wishing I was in Kicking Horse

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
3yrs is indicative of neglect not stability.

U-H, I was trying to be a little more subtle then this, but, you pretty much nailed it :D
  • Lukus
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Lukus

Post 3+ Months Ago

CartikaHosting wrote:
Quote:
Example, most of our Linux boxes have uptimes now of 3yrs plus

You havent rebooted your linux boxesin 3 yrs !

How do you apply patches and such? Havne you needed to upgrade RAM or something in all that time?

Quote:
No one can disagree! It's true!

We run both *nix and Windows servers and I am not certain I agree that one is "better" then the other - they both have their respective advantages and disadvantages.

No one can disagree that *nix is far more stable than windows. I agree that they have both have plus points, but the matter in hand was stability.

With the uptime, I was referring to our DNS servers and such like. Our hosting servers are taken down from time to time for upgrades, and kernel patches for local user exploits, although on most boxes we run FreeBSD, which i'm not sure if you are aware, has had only one remote exploit since it was conceived - in openssh - which was patched without the need for a reboot. Hense the majority of our boxes - that have not needed to be upgraded - have uptimes of 36months plus.

It's not uncommon to find this, various companies I've worked for and/or been invloved with have had uptimes around or even better than this, up to 5yrs that I can remember infact.
  • Cari.net
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Cari.net
  • Loc: San Diego, California

Post 3+ Months Ago

Every time i sea a thread about Linux vs. Windows I know it would be a heated discussion, I know you can run PHP and MySQL on a Windows machine, I also know you can run some ASP on a Linux machine, the reason most Windows hosting are more expensive is due to the fact the Linux server can host more sites than a Windows server when equipped equally.
  • Lukus
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Lukus

Post 3+ Months Ago

rar! lol :)

Spot on, they both have advantages and disadvantages, pro's and con's, and neither is simply better than the other at everything, so we'll leave it at that.

PS - Although in a war, i'd be with the penguins :)
  • SuperHostUsa.net
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hey,
To the best of my knowledge windows hosting is more expansive but has better support for Microsoft products and the of course the support of Microsoft for better stability and performance. True they are more expansive but if you mostly use Microsoft products for your hosting then I would go with them.
  • Lukus
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Lukus

Post 3+ Months Ago

SuperHostUsa.net wrote:
Hey,
To the best of my knowledge windows hosting is more expansive but has better support for Microsoft products and the of course the support of Microsoft for better stability and performance. True they are more expansive but if you mostly use Microsoft products for your hosting then I would go with them.

Oh dear... /me holds back the flames! :roll:

General Rule of Thumb for an end user - If you want to use php, mySQL and/or perl... use linux hosting, if you want Coldfusion, ASP and/or ASP.net... use windows hosting, Simple :)

Plenty of the pro's and con's can be found here
  • Daemonguy
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

<cough> <cough>

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 20 posts