Wordpress Multi-User

• DanKo
  • Banned
  • Banned

Post 3+ Months Ago

What is the most friendly hosting company to set up and run Wordpress Multi-User?
What is the easiest way to set up and manage Wordpress Multi-User?
Any advice?
Many thanks
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• RedBMedia
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

Oh man, this is a big question! i have been asking this same question around the net for about half a year! The best answer I can come up with is a dedicated server option seems to be the best choice. And I would assume that if you need a dedicated host then you need a company that is reliable and has experience. I like hostgator.com but i am sure that there are other places to go. Let me know what you end up with.
  • odysseus
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • odysseus

Post 3+ Months Ago

Can you tell me more about WP multi-user? I thot Wp allows you to create as many users as you like.
  • RedBMedia
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

I think DanKo is talking about Wordpress MU which is basically the same thing as wordpress but it allows you to setup a blogging service on your web host, like wordpress.com or blogger.com You can find out more at:

http://mu.wordpress.org
  • InfluxHost

Post 3+ Months Ago

DanKo,

Find yourself a host that has Fantastico. This is a software that will install applications with 1-click from your cPanel. WordPress is one of those software included with Fantastico :-)

Greg
  • jameson5555
  • Bronze Robot
  • Bronze Member
  • Loc: Phoenix, AZ

Post 3+ Months Ago

InfluxHost wrote:
DanKo,

Find yourself a host that has Fantastico. This is a software that will install applications with 1-click from your cPanel. WordPress is one of those software included with Fantastico :-)

Greg

I'm not trying to plug Hostgator or anything, but I just signed up for a reseller account with them and they have Fantastico, which does have WordPress as one of the options.

I haven't had any experience with blogs yet.. is WordPress one of the better ones or something? The three I have available are WordPress, b2evolution, and Nucleus.
  • InfluxHost

Post 3+ Months Ago

They're all good software for blogging. Here's a breakdown of each:

http://www.ojr.org/ojr/images/blog_soft ... arison.cfm
  • funnyface
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • funnyface
  • Loc: UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

RedBMedia wrote:
Oh man, this is a big question! i have been asking this same question around the net for about half a year! The best answer I can come up with is a dedicated server option seems to be the best choice.

Why dedicated? Shared, semi-dedicated or VPS environment are still options to consider.
I recommend you to consider big and well-established companies as your hosting partners and start with shared or semi-dedicated:
Bluehost.com
Lunarpages.com
Serverpoint.com
  • RedBMedia
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

InfluxHost wrote:
DanKo,

Greg

Fantastico does not support Wordpress MU. Remember everyone, regular Wordpress DOES NOT equal Wordpress MU. They are two different applications that require different hosting options.

As I have said before look at http://mu.wordpress.org for more information.
  • RedBMedia
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

funnyface wrote:
RedBMedia wrote:
Oh man, this is a big question! i have been asking this same question around the net for about half a year! The best answer I can come up with is a dedicated server option seems to be the best choice.

Why dedicated? Shared, semi-dedicated or VPS environment are still options to consider.
I recommend you to consider big and well-established companies as your hosting partners and start with shared or semi-dedicated:
Bluehost.com
Lunarpages.com
Serverpoint.com

It seems that most recommend dedicated because of the strain that the server takes. I will say this again, Wordpress MU is not your average Wordpress blog. Wordpress MU is designed to manage and implement up to thousands of blogs on the same server. It is implemented at sites like CNN, The New York Times, Yahoo, and Harvard Law School.
  • franticuser
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • franticuser

Post 3+ Months Ago

If you need a dedicated server for running WordPress MU, you may have it from GoDaady.com, [banned domain] and RackSpace.com. All these companies recommend nice dedis for affordable prices.
  • RedBMedia
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

franticuser wrote:
If you need a dedicated server for running WordPress MU, you may have it from GoDaady.com, [banned domain] and RackSpace.com. All these companies recommend nice dedis for affordable prices.

I would not recommend running anything on Godaddy. Especially something that requires a dedicated host. The simple fact that they don't give shell access is absurd!
  • rllunzmann
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • rllunzmann
  • Loc: Wisconsin

Post 3+ Months Ago

hmm well alot of hosts should be friendly, if they want business that is. Nowadays too, most hosts will offer WP and assistance with installing/configuring it.

If you need further help let me know. Thanks
  • Tonzilit
  • Student
  • Student

Post 3+ Months Ago

ServerPoint.com offers WordPress hosting, moreover they offer free WordPress themes if someone needs it. This company is optimized for web applications and it's good for their clients to use such services.
  • suraja
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • suraja

Post 3+ Months Ago

Wordpress MU not available on Fantastico. I've found it hard to install anyway. Some sub domain wildcard setting needed to run the WP-MU for my blog portal purpose

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 15 posts