Your Experiences at Go Daddy

• ccb056
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

I may be planning on transfering my host from http://www.monster-dedicated.com to http://www.myprohost.com in the process of that, I will be getting a full domain name. I'm thinking about registering my domain name at https://www.godaddy.com

any suggestions on the domain name registration regarding who I am getting it from

any suggestions on domain names? My site is a forum that provides free computer help, we have gotten around 70 members since january, and google has come around 500 times. http://short-circuit.zapto.org
  • Andrew
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Andrew

Post 3+ Months Ago

I love GoDaddy.com, i have used them so many times, for domain names. The only thing i don't like is the support, some people there don't know what a domain name is! But you can't beat the prices!
  • stickfigure
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • stickfigure

Post 3+ Months Ago

the only thing i dont like about them is the fact they dont offer top-level domains. but theyre alright for their price i guess.
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: Sub-level 28

Post 3+ Months Ago

don't offer top level domains? Then, what would you call a .com/.net/.org? They sell those you know :)

I've been using GoDaddy myself now for about 6 years. I currently have 21 domain names registered with them (and between my clients, you can add about another 40-50 domains to that list), and I've not had a single bad experience with them, nor have I heard of one with my clients (and they would tell me, they're the kind of clients who like to moan and complain a lot, lol).
  • musik
  • Legend
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: up a tree

Post 3+ Months Ago

ive been with godaddy for ages now - ive never had any hassles with them either. :thumbsup:

ive got numerous accounts with them both my own and clients :D
  • stickfigure
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • stickfigure

Post 3+ Months Ago

Axe wrote:
don't offer top level domains? Then, what would you call a .com/.net/.org? They sell those you know :)

i mean top level as in yoursite.com/directory/image.jpg ... being able to type that in with your godaddy domain and having it actually work. i couldnt think of the right word to use for the lack of this :wink:
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

umm... a top level domain is something.com. GoDaddy HOSTING may be a different story entirely, I've no idea, I've never been able to use it.

I run my own servers, and when I register a domain name with them, I have the WHOIS record pointing to my DNS servers. It's real hosting, not URL forwarding.

I believe URL forwarding is what you're thinking of (having a top level domain forward to some free hosting site, for example). With address masking to hide - to a degree - the real URL of the content, forwarding a complete path would be impossible.

If it were a straight redirect, simply exchanging the domain name to the root path of your actual website's location, then that's doable, of course, people see your real location in the location bar of their browser.

Masked redirection acually loads your site inside a frame. When somebody types your.com into their browser, it loads a frames page, and inside that frame your true location is loaded.
  • stickfigure
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • stickfigure

Post 3+ Months Ago

ive never used hosting either, i have my dns pointed to my host site.
ive asked them about it but what i remember them saying is something along the lines of top level domain... i own a .com and .net website from them, both are remotely hosted.

the only options they offer me is a simple redirect or masking. i would prefer mirroring these domain names instead of having them forwarded/cloaked or masked by an iframe.

by mirroring i mean, white with my ORIGINAL .com site i can type mysite.com/directory and be on my way into that directory

now on the GODADDY .com i type in mysite.com/directory i get taken to a blank page :(
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

If you own a .com and a .net, and the DNS is pointed to a hosting account other than one run by GoDaddy (and not a forwarding URL from GoDaddy), then it's your hosting company you need to cplain to :)

Basically, once you send the DNS to a server outside of GoDaddy, how that site runs has nothing to do with GoDaddy. At this point, it just tells anybody making a DNS request "Hey, go talk to this computer to get the IP".

The connection between you and that IP is nothing to do with GoDaddy if your DNS servers and hosting is elsewhere.
  • stickfigure
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • stickfigure

Post 3+ Months Ago

theyve already taken a look at it and said "hmm doesnt offer us as much flexibility as we'd thought"

are they being tards or am i misinformed? is it possible to have a mirriored domain via godaddy?
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

They're misinforming you. If the DNS is pointed at them, they are the ones in control of the website.

Here's basically how it works with my sites.
  • I register my domain at Goddady, I set my NS and NS2 nameservers in the WHOIS record when I register it.
  • I wait 24-72hrs, til the DNS info propagates around the world.
  • I open up my web browser and go to http://www.mydomain.com.
  • My web browser says to my system "Hey, I need an IP for http://www.mydomain.com."
  • My computer says to my ISP "Hey, what's the IP address of http://www.mydomain.com?", the ISP responds with an IP address.
  • My system passes that back to the browser.
  • The browser then connects to that IP address on port 80 (my web server), and when it connects to my web server, it says "Hey, send me /directory/somefile.jpg".
  • My web server sends it down the socket, and when it's complete, closes the socket.
So, when I call..

Code: [ Select ]
[img]http://www.gotaxe.com/gallery/albums/album19/dave_with_argentine_boa.jpg[/img]

This comes up...

Which, as you can see by the WHOIS record, was reg'd at GoDaddy, and points to my DNS servers...

http://www.whois.sc/gotaxe.com
  • stickfigure
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • stickfigure

Post 3+ Months Ago

ack! ive specifically asked them about the nameservers issue a month ago.

my name servers are currently pointed at godaddy.

when i look my original domain name up, they are hosted through a friends server (the actual content is not though).. if i change my current godaddy nameservers to whats on my original domain, will my godaddy name work like yours just did?

i have remotely hosted email on everyone.net im sure this won't be affected because it isnt hosted by me at all, i just have dns & mx records pointed to THEM.. but just to double check, this wont be affected at all?
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well, if you point your WHOIS record to servers containing a valid DNS record for your domain, your E-Mail MIGHT be redirected, because the MX is listed in your existing DNS record. If you point the DNS record elsewhere, you will have to make sure that your MX record points to the right location first.

I would contact whoever SHOULD be running your DNS record, and make sure all the IPs match up before you redirect the DNS server IPs on your whois record.
  • conorific
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: NY

Post 3+ Months Ago

When I went looking for a domain name, I rejected GoDaddy because they seemed a lot like Network Solutions - too big, too many people, not enough support or features. I found 000domains.com and they have been so wonderful, and their support team is very nice. It's a much smaller company, but for those who are looking for a domain, I recommend it.
  • chainy
  • Born
  • Born
  • chainy
  • Loc: Kent, UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi
i have a question for AXE !
I am running plesk on my server and i am having a bit of a problem with name servers.

i read your post which i can understand i have my domains with godaddy and i need to register say ns1.mydomain.net and ns2.mydomain.net . my problem is while one registerd ok i.e. ns2.mydomain.net but the second one faild saying you can not use the same ip address because another name server has that ip address. So im thinking yes that makes sense what's the point of two nameservers with the same address.

i have two ip address for my server so if i set ns1.mydomain.net on the other ip address will this work right or would i register another nameserver with the name say ns1.mydomain.com then register it with the same ip as ns2.

gratfull for any help on this.
  • Jerrek
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: Melbourne, AUS

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi there,
You could register two nameservers in the way you've described if they have seperate IP addresses, but I wouldn't recommend it because the whole point of the second nameserver is to provide a failsafe if the first one croaks and you don't notice for a couple of hours.

Ideally, set up one domain name server in your own domain and register it with GoDaddy like you've already done, and then get your hostng provider to provide secondary DNS service for your domain. In this way your secondary nameserver (and possibly even a tertiary) is running on a totally different network to your nameserver, so if your network or server ever croak for a few hours, your domain name is still resolvable.

The reason for this is that a lot of times, a mail agent will bin a message immediately if the domain name is not resolvable, but will keep retrying for up to 5 days if the name is resolvable, but the server is not responding.

Hope that makes sense!
  • chainy
  • Born
  • Born
  • chainy

Post 3+ Months Ago

ok got it sorted now for some reason after the first one had registerd i could add the second with the same ip. Thank,s all the same!!
  • chainy
  • Born
  • Born
  • chainy

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi
Jerrek i posted the one above before i saw your reply,
i see what you mean with the second name server, So could i say use my isp nameserver then allow transfere of my pirmary zone to there name server?
Thank's for your help.
  • Jerrek
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: Melbourne, AUS

Post 3+ Months Ago

chainy wrote:
Hi
Jerrek i posted the one above before i saw your reply,
i see what you mean with the second name server, So could i say use my isp nameserver then allow transfere of my pirmary zone to there name server?
Thank's for your help.

That's correct - but of course your provider would need to be setup to request the transfer. Certainly my provider provides this free of charge to hosting customers and I think the same applies for most providers to be honest.

Give me a shout if you need any help
  • chainy
  • Born
  • Born
  • chainy

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks Jerrek i will contact them to find out.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 20 posts