100% CPU Usage ... how to turn dfrgntfs.exe off?

• DonChoudhry
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • DonChoudhry

Post 3+ Months Ago

A few days ago my CPU started running at 100%. It stays on 100% no matter what you do. I did a google search on it and couldn't come up with a solution. I tried ending the process to no avail. Only rebooted is effective ... that too for a little time before it auto starts again. I even tried to restore the PC to the time when I am sure I wasn't having this issue, but it prob. remains. I also ran McAffee and got nothing. All drivers are up to date and so is adaware and McAffee. At this moment it is still running at 100% and he PC is going very slower ... Any suggestions?

I also looked at http://www.ozzu.com/mswindows-forum/wtf-cpu-usage-100-t21673.html but there is no reliable solution there.
  • lucassix
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Indiana

Post 3+ Months Ago

dfrgntfs.exe is the Windows defrag program. If it is running automatically, do the following to disable it:

Open REGEDIT

Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Dfrg\BootOptimizeFunction

Change the value of the key "Enable" from Y to N

Here is some more information on Disk Defragmenter:
http://www.microsoft.com/resources/docu ... _tools.asp

It is for 2003 Server, but the same applys to XP.
  • DonChoudhry
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • DonChoudhry

Post 3+ Months Ago

I already did what you are telling me based on the search I did earlier this day. The problem remains. The value is still N and dfragntfs still runs aytomatically
  • lucassix
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Indiana

Post 3+ Months Ago

The only other fix I found was to go into safe mode and rename the file to something else. Just remember what you rename it to so you can rename it back when you want to manually defrag.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

This link at experts exchange seems to be nearly an identical problem. Although it appears more of a workaround than a solution scroll all the way to the bottom to see how the author of the post solved it:

http://www.experts-exchange.com/Operati ... 77204.html
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

Another potential cause of this is Antivirus real time protection. You must disable Antivirus realtime protection when running defrag. Defrag moves files around and every file defrag touches your virus protection is scanning.

Obviously this will cause intensive CPU utilization. Defrag will attempt to finish a job once it is started. If it was scheduled to run at one time or if you manually ran it and it didn't finish the job, it will continue to try to finish that job.

Try disabling your virus protection and running a defrag and see if this solves your problem. It's better if you can solve the root cause than to do workarounds indefinitely.
  • renee28212
  • renee28212

Post 3+ Months Ago

IVE HAD A SIMILAR PROBLEM WITH MY PC AND IT WAS IEEXPLORE.EXE
IT ALSO HAS LOTS OF OTHER EXE PROCESS THAT ARE IN ITS TREE SO JUST BECAUSE U DONT SEE IT DOESNT MEAN THAT IT ISNT RUNNING. MY PROBLEM USUALLY STARTS WHEN I OPEN UP MY INTERNET EXPLORER.TRY THIS PULL UP YOU TASK MANAGER AND SEE WHAT PROCESS IS TAKING UP ALL YOUR CPU. RIGHT CLICK ON THAT CPU THEN GO BACK UP TO VIEW AND UPDATE THE SPEED ON IT. YOU SHOULD THEN PAUSE THE PROCESS. THATS WHAT I HAVE TO DO AND ITS WORKING WELL SO FAR. U SHOULD TRY IT. IVE DOWNLOADED AND PAID FOR PLENTY OF NO ADWARE/SPYWARE REMOVAL AND THE SAME PROBLEM JUST KEEPS COMING BACK. IVE BEEN IN THE REGISTRY AND I FOUND THAT THESE PROGRAMS JUST KEEP RECREATING THEMSELVES OVER AND OVER AGAIN. TRY THIS AND LET ME KNOW HOW IT WORKS FOR U
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

renee28212

Please turn your caps lock off for your next post. Thanks

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 8 posts