32bit OS VS 64bit OS Windows 7

• Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm looking for a Windows 7 installation CD to use to reinstall my PC and I don't know what I need to know to be able to make the choice between a 32bit and a 64bit Windows 7.

I don't know what kind of specs I need (if any) or anything about the bits thing.

Any pointers? Thanks.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin
  • Loc: Seattle, WA & Phoenix, AZ

Post 3+ Months Ago

How much RAM is installed on your computer? I believe Windows 7 32 bit can only support up to 4 gigs of RAM. I use Windows 64 bit because I am using 12 gigs of ram and want my programs to be able to utilize that.
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I think I have like 2gigs or something. I never checked it, and reason I'm reinstalling the PC is because it has XP that is broken. (Doesn't load), and I'm wanting to try something new.

To be able to use 64bit, do I need a minimum number of gigs of ram or is it whatever? I'm thinking of buying as much ram as windows 7 can possibly use, so I'm probably going to go with the 64 bit.

Besides ram, is there anything that is required in the specs of a computer to be able to use Windows 7 64bit?
  • grinch2171
  • Genius
  • Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Post 3+ Months Ago

A processor that supports 64 bit.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

^^What Grinch Said^^

This might help you to understand how it works a bit better
http://www.webopedia.com/DidYouKnow/Com ... 64_bit.asp

Quote:
When making the transition from 32-bit to 64-bit desktop PCs, users won't actually see Web browsers and word processing programs run faster. Benefits of 64-bit processors would be seen with more demanding applications such as video encoding, scientific research, searching massive databases; tasks where being able to load massive amounts of data into the system's memory is required.
  • SpooF
  • ٩๏̯͡๏۶
  • Bronze Member
  • Loc: Richland, WA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Bogey wrote:
I think I have like 2gigs or something. I never checked it, and reason I'm reinstalling the PC is because it has XP that is broken. (Doesn't load), and I'm wanting to try something new.

To be able to use 64bit, do I need a minimum number of gigs of ram or is it whatever? I'm thinking of buying as much ram as windows 7 can possibly use, so I'm probably going to go with the 64 bit.

Besides ram, is there anything that is required in the specs of a computer to be able to use Windows 7 64bit?

Quote:
Windows 7 Ultimate: 192 GB
Windows 7 Enterprise: 192 GB
Windows 7 Professional: 192 GB
Windows 7 Home Premium: 16 GB
Windows 7 Home Basic: 8 GB
Windows 7 Starter: 2 GB

If your running anything higher than Home Premium I think you will find it hard to max out the memory :lol:

Like Grinch said, you will need to make sure you have a 64bit process and then a motherboard to support the memory. Most new high end motherboards max out at 24gigs. Older 64bit motherboards might max out at 8 or 16, so make sure you check your specs first and look to see if you can even fit that much ram into your system. Whether your limit is physical memory slots or chipset.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 6 posts