98se - modem on com port3 but trying to find it on port1

• bbw
  • Loc: North Texas

Post 3+ Months Ago

I've searched this forum high and low, and the internet in general for how to's or the same problem description and cannot. So now that I've snatched myself bald, I'll start from the beginning.

AMD Athlon 700, 128 mb ram and nothing out of the ordinary. A long time ago I added an additional pci card for an extra parralel port for an old scanner that had that type of connection. Had to do some shuffling or creating of com ports to accomodate it and my modem. CANNOT for the life of me remember how or what I did, but it worked all those few years and was mothballed last summer when I got a new one.

Ok - couple of weeks ago I dug the thing out and reformatted the hard drive with a fresh install of 98se. I had taken out that extra pci card, and there is no printer attached to it. I installed the modem drivers, and when I go to the control panel, modems, to add the modem it keeps trying to find it at com port 1, but in the modem properties it is assigned to com port 2. (oh yeah - today I was in there looking it over one more time and now it is on com port 3 - !!!???) What have I done??!! sigh...

What do I need to do, or what site to I need to go to to find detailed instructions? Thanks so much for the help.
Brooke
:shock:
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Given the fact that you pulled it out of closet there's an outside chance that it may be an Acer computer. Even if it isn't the "work-a-round" mentioned in this MS article may solve it for you:

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=213166
  • bbw
  • Loc: North Texas

Post 3+ Months Ago

No not an Acer - just a no name that a mom & pop shop built for me a long time ago - like maybe six years ago or so. I have been attempting the work around listed in the article, but so far have had no luck. The darn thing continues to act screwy in general. I remember now why I was getting frustrated with it and bought a new one. I'm also having the problem described as "hanging up at the splash screen" which I have found instructions for fixing, but have been unsuccessful with THAT too!

Will keep you posted!
thanks for the tip - I do seem closer to making it happen once I get the other stuff out of my hair but any other ideas on the modem are appreciated! (the only com port I have on the machine is now com5 !?)
bbw :wink:

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 3 posts