access my desktop without being on my desktop?

• Mason151
  • Mason151

Post 3+ Months Ago

ok i tried to hook up both hard drives in my new comp everything worked fine, i had 1 on cd drive and the other where it should be.... but... i couldnt figure out how to access the files on my desktop...i keep all my music, movies and documents there i tried to just disconnect 1 drive and use my old 1 but microsoft says i have to register before i use the Os on my old already registered harddrive and wont let me on my desktop....i cant register cause i cant get to my desktop to open a connection..microsoft registration wizard tries to access the connection but it fails because microsoft is a piece of *plum* company. any ideas?
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Sumen
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Rochester or Albany, NY

Post 3+ Months Ago

hmmm
your hard to understand
try to be a little more clear
I'm assuming you have two computers, a new and an old one.
Your trying to put the harddrive from the old one into the new one?
anyway, assuming this, you can't just swap the old harddrive and boot windows from it.
I dont know which computer your talking about or what your trying to do after that...
  • Mason151
  • Mason151

Post 3+ Months Ago

i have a new athlon and an old sempron. i have to move all my old files to the new Hdrive. theres easier ways to do this but none are avaliable to me
i cant burn 60 gigs of movies on dvds thats just not practicle and i have no usb cord to help with the transfers. so i asked around and heard i can have 1 harddrive run as a cdrom so i read up and got that working so now i have 2 harddrives on my comp and i transfered most files already...but i have several important folders on my desktop on the old harddrive that i cant get to i tried to access the files threw my computer or documents and settings and owner and all but there was no folder that lets you see what you had on your desktop...i tried to hook up my old comp and just move the files to a place i can get them but it wont start its broken or something and i cant just leave the harddrive in there im told it will mess my comp up. do you know how i can access the files that are on the old desktop so that i can move them to the new hardrives?
  • Sumen
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well I'm not sure why the desktop folder isn't showing up. It should.
the files for the desktop should be
(Drive Letter):\Documents and Settings\(User Name)\Desktop
if there are other users in the documents and settings folder besides owner then try them I guess (maybe you weren't owner?)
How is it broken? The old computer doesn't boot now?
  • Mason151
  • Mason151

Post 3+ Months Ago

yea i tried the owner folder but it says access denied dont know why.. i am the owner and as far as the old comp not startin i dont know whats wrong with it it just doesnt boot up. its funny last comp before my sempron stopped workin right when i got the sempron and now i get an athlon and the sempron stops working......its bill gates man hes doing somthing with the computers making the newer models send waves to the older ones to fry there boards and when hes ready to launch his war against man kind the interweb will be a weapon at his disposal and the computers will only be slaves to there own systems.
  • Sumen
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

I honestly don't know.
Someone feel free to correct me but the access denied could mean theres a problem with the harddrive. I don't see how you would be restricted from viewing it but I really don't know anything about NTFS (or other file systems for that matter :P)
There are programs out there for checking a harddrive. I've used one from Seagate before, I would pull up links but right now I have to go
  • Mason151
  • Mason151

Post 3+ Months Ago

no thanks anyways dude

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 7 posts