Accessing protected files from another Win XP install

• crowmobe
  • crowmobe

Post 3+ Months Ago

My original Win XP install would not start because ntoskrnl.exe got corrupted :
http://www.ozzu.com/mswindows-forum/ntoskrnl-exe-corrupted-windows-wont-open-t24580.html
So I installed Win XP on a second hard drive in the same machine. I can view some of the files on the first harddrive. I was hoping to either go in and fix the corrupted files, or at least pull my data off. But I can't access anything in my Documents and Settings folder or the Windows/System32/ntoskrnl.exe file that I need to fix. I am thinking that it may be some kind of windows security thing rather than real corruption. Is this the case? Isn't there any way to get to these files and modify or copy them?
Someone please help me, I am so close to getting my data back, but still so far.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• JrzyCrim
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

You could try taking ownership of the folders/files in question:

From an explorer window, go to Tools > Folder Options.
Go to the View Tab.
Under Advanced settings at the very bottom, uncheck 'Use simple file sharing'.

Now, Navigate to the folder/file that you want to access, Right-click and select Properties.
Go to the Security tab. Check 'Full Control' under Allow. Click OK. You should now be able to access the files. Repeat this for any folders or files you need to access.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I think this goes hand in hand with my newest post in the other thread. I never had to take it to this point, but try taking ownership of the file.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.as ... 21&sd=tech

By all appearances that should work. Good luck. You went about it differently, but your method was similar to mine.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

*lol -- Jim, we've got to stop meeting like this *lol
  • JrzyCrim
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

hehe, I snuck in on you. Haven't been around much today. :)

That KB article listed a few more steps than I did. To be honest, I never tried accessing files from another OS installation. Probably worth your while to follow those instructions. Now that I think about, you may have to add the administrators group if it's not listed in the security tab.
  • crowmobe
  • crowmobe

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks guys. I'll try this at lunch, and see what happens. I really appreciate the help, you guys are great!
Thanks,
Clay
  • crowmobe
  • crowmobe

Post 3+ Months Ago

Unfortunately I could not read anything off the drives today. I ran powermax which is a Maxtor disk utility. it told me that both drives are bad. Yes, both drives that are part of my raid array went bad. I asked the guy if that was odd, and he asured me that it was very odd. But offered no explanation. So I am getting two new hard drives. and it turns otu that it was more than jsut a windows secutiry issues.
I guess that my problem has changed, does anyone know of any good data recovery software that will work on a raid 0 configuration?

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 7 posts