Active Directory user attribute "mail"

• humbletech99
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

I need the user accounts in my 2003 Active Directory to have the "mail" attribute for a third party app to work, but unfortunately I don't have an Exchange server. So I ran the Exchange 2007 /prepareschema which is the equivalent of the older /forestprep in Exchange 2003 to extend the schema thinking this may give me the attributes, however my user accounts still don't have the mail attribute.

Will a domainprep or equivalent give my users the attributes they need or will I only get that if I actually fully install Exchange?

Perhaps there is another way of getting the attribute?
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• grinch2171
  • Genius
  • Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
And Exchange 2007 does not show Exchange Tabs in Active Directory Users and Computers. That's huge change in architecture of E2K7.

I cannot prove this as I do not run Exchange but I found this very same comment in a few search results. You are probably going to have to look at Exchange 2003.
  • humbletech99
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

I figured it out, the attribute is there it just isn't set until you get Exchange but you can set it manually via adsiedit or script or even just ad users and computers in the general tab mail address setting. I verified this using adsiedit afterwards.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 3 posts