Add&Read&Execute permission but write problem

• ljCharlie
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • ljCharlie

Post 3+ Months Ago

We have an NT 4.0 server and on our shared folders, I set the regular users to ADD/READ/EXECUTE but why am I having problem open the file from another user's folder and Save As to different file name? I thought this is the same thing as ADD, isn't it? Here's what I want. I want to be able to give other users to ADD/READ/EXECUTE/WRITE to my shared folder, but I don't want other users to DELETE/MOVE/OVER WRITE any of my files and/or subfolders. Yet, still there are able to open a file in my folder and save to different name in my folder. Is there a way this can be done in NT 4.0 server, if not what version of Windows server is capable of doing this?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

ljCharlie
  • whosonthedexs
  • Student
  • Student
  • Loc: UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

You've given write permission to them, this by default gives quite a high permission level.

What sort of solution are you trying to put together with this structure?
  • ljCharlie
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • ljCharlie

Post 3+ Months Ago

First of all, thank you for responding to my request.

What I'm trying to do is giving other users the permission to ADD/WRITE/READ/EXECUTE but not to MOVE, OVER WRITE, or DELETE my files or folders. I want to give them the ability to DELETE any files or folders that they created under my share folder. In addition, I also want to give them the ability to open any of my files and then save to any file name they want as long as it's not over writing my existing file. So far I have not found any solution for this structure.

ljCharlie
  • whosonthedexs
  • Student
  • Student

Post 3+ Months Ago

Unfortunatley as far as i'm aware this sort of solution isn't possible.
It's far too granular for the majority of MS platforms.

There are probably ways of doing this through a web front end via sharepoint team services but as a standard share I think you'll be stuck.

hope this helps.
  • ljCharlie
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • ljCharlie

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm afraid you're going to say that. I have used Serve U for a ftp server and it does this permission very good and I was wondering if Windows have this kind of permission settings. If not, perhaps other third party software will do this sort of things. You have mentioned sharepoint team services, what exactly is this? How do I find more information about this?

Again, thanks!

ljCharlie
  • whosonthedexs
  • Student
  • Student

Post 3+ Months Ago

This is only one solution that came to me purely because i've used it recently.

It's a MS (Microsoft) product and works as an extension to an IIS web server just like frontpage server extensions.

not 100% sure whether it will run on anything less than Win2K.

It's available from the MS website.

As a starting point you'd probably be better off looking at other solutions before getting into the 100% MS solution.
  • ljCharlie
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • ljCharlie

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks! I just look at MS site and they no longer offer it. I don't think they will support it either, although they do still have documents about it.

Anyway, many thanks for your help. I'll keep looking for a better solution.

ljCharlie
  • whosonthedexs
  • Student
  • Student

Post 3+ Months Ago

This board is very useful i've only been a member for less than a week and I'm fulling enjoying it!!

Stick around you never know what you might learn.

Just realised you've been around longer than me.... LOL
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

ljCharlie wrote:
We have an NT 4.0 server and on our shared folders, I set the regular users to ADD/READ/EXECUTE but why am I having problem open the file from another user's folder and Save As to different file name? I thought this is the same thing as ADD, isn't it? Here's what I want. I want to be able to give other users to ADD/READ/EXECUTE/WRITE to my shared folder, but I don't want other users to DELETE/MOVE/OVER WRITE any of my files and/or subfolders. Yet, still there are able to open a file in my folder and save to different name in my folder. Is there a way this can be done in NT 4.0 server, if not what version of Windows server is capable of doing this?

Maybe I'm missing something, but I think this should be entirely possible. Forgive me for guessing because I've only used an NT4 server like twice, but if you create a group - add the users you want to the group, then in your ACL give the group the ADD/READ EXECUTE/WRITE permissions and add and give yourself Full Supervisor permissions to the share in the ACL. I'm going from memory, and I glanced at my NT server book on this, but I think I remember that's how it's done. Also, make sure you're not a member of their group. The inheritance may be overriding your higher authority.
  • ljCharlie
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • ljCharlie

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks for the response, ATNO/TW.

Here's what I have setup. In the Domain Users group, which have me and all the domain users. In the folder, let's say Users, I set the permissions as follows:

Administrators -- FULL
Domain Users -- READ & EXECUTE/LIST/READ/WRITE
ljCharlie -- FULL

Now, in the Domain Users group are me, and a user name johnlj. I was able to delete and do everything in the folder Users, but when johnlj log into his profile, he wasn't able to open my file and Save As to different file name in that Users folder. He is able to copy and paste new files and folders but not Save As. I found out that if I allow DELETE permission to the Domain User group then johnlj is able to Save As to different name.

ljCharlie
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

OK.. so if I'm reading that correctly, You can do everything, but Johnlj can't unless you add the delete to the group? OK, so You have separately added yourself with Full and you work OK...so add johnlj separately and give him full (or whatever you want him to have and leave the group as was) -- wouldn't that solve it?
  • ljCharlie
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • ljCharlie

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks for the response. No, that doesn't solve it. However, do you know anything about the builtin CREATOR OWNER? I was told that it works in Windows 2K Server and above but I wasn't able to have it work in NT 4.0 server. I thought I did...until one week later it doesn't work anymore.

ljCharlie

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 12 posts