Adware! The final solution!!!

• nimborde
  • Banned
  • Banned
  • Loc: Paris

Post 3+ Months Ago

Okay, the adware on my computer has not been detected by any of the spaware software out there. I tried them all. Upgraded them all. None have been able to get rid of the annoying pop ups and bogus banners which direct me to the "Uninstaller" software. :pale:

As mentioned before, I would die before I spent one dime on getting the cure from the company which caused the problem in the first place. :barfonyou:

Now, insofar as nothing has worked, I now have to implement the final solution: uninstalling explorer and reinstalling! The problem is, Explorer can not be uninstalled in the uninstall menu. So here is the big question: (1) How do I uninstall Explorer (2) Can I uninstall Explorer without uninstalling Outlook? :flatten: (3) How can I reinstall everything without loosing my Outlook folders.

In conclusion, I just can't believe this Adware stuff is not part of virus sofware detection. It is just as annoying as a virus, does what a virus does. The distinction is just idiotic! It should be treated and destroyed like a virus!!! What a ripoff for us to have to buy additional software when virus software should be handling this!! :2up:
  • grinch2171
  • Genius
  • Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Post 3+ Months Ago

Considering I don't get spyware on my PC I can't say that I feel your pain. Any adware/spyware I have come across I have gotten rid of with either adaware, spybot or Norton AV 2004. I have no idea what got you but it doesn't sound pleasant.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

To date, I haven't found anything spyware or adware related I haven't been able to get rid of but there's some tricky one's out there that take some serious effort.

I would suggest this. Download, install and run hijack this and follow the basic instructions here:

http://tomcoyote.com/hjt/

Post your log at the support forums under a new topic as suggested and see what the hijack this experts can help you with. You're also welcome to post your log here. Although not many around are experts at analyzing a hijack this log, I and others can recognize some things we have experienced and may be able to continue to help.
  • nimborde
  • Banned
  • Banned

Post 3+ Months Ago

To answer my question, is there a way to uninstall and re-install E xplorer?

:gun4: :biggun:
  • JrzyCrim
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

Have you tried searching? You can find many things with google...

http://www.dougknox.com/xp/tips/xp_ie_reinstall.htm

http://support.microsoft.com/default.as ... US;q318378
  • dyefade
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

ATNO/TW wrote:
I would suggest this. Download, install and run hijack this and follow the basic instructions here:

http://tomcoyote.com/hjt/

Yes definitely! I had a few spyware probs a while back, this cleared everything AdAware6 didn't.
  • JrzyCrim
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

I don't think he's interested in trying this. I posted the same advice in his original thread concerning this problem.
  • nimborde
  • Banned
  • Banned

Post 3+ Months Ago

Crim, don't presume things. I downloaded this software and am trying to use it. So far I have not been able to remove the banner. Do you really think I posting :evil: my questions for fun?
  • nimborde
  • Banned
  • Banned

Post 3+ Months Ago

I DID IT! I GOT RID OF THE ADWARE!!!

I USED "HIGHJACKTHIS" ANS DELETED EVERYTHING THAT LOOKED REMOTELY SUSPICIOUS! GONE GONE GONE!!!

BOTTOM LINE, OF ALL THE PROGRAMS I TRIED, THIS IS THE ONLY ONE WHICH GOT THE JOB DONE. I JUST HAD TO GO IN AND GO ON A DELETION RAMPAGE! I DELETED CLOSE TO 10 LINES. I JUST KEPT WHAT I KNEW CORRESPONDED TO AN ACTUAL LEGITIMATE PROGRAM.

ANYWAYS, THANK YOU FOR POINTING ME IN THE RIGHT DIRECTION!!!!

OF COURSE I SEIZED THE OPPORTUNITY TO SEND DOZENS OF INSULT MAIL TO THE COMPANIES ASSOCIATED WITH THE ADWARE BANNERS. THESE PEOPLE DO NOT DESERVE TO SELL ANYTHING!

SO TO ALL PEOPLE OUT THERE WHO WANT AN EFFICIENT WAY TO GET RID OF ADWARE, USE "HIGHJACKTHIS"! IT REALLY WORKS WHERE NOTHING ELSE DOES!!!

:gun4:
  • JrzyCrim
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

I didn't presume anything. You ignored my advice in your original thread and when ATNO gave you the same advice, you responded with:

Quote:
To answer my question, is there a way to uninstall and re-install E xplorer?

I'm glad you fixed your problem but could you please stop posting in all caps?
  • nimborde
  • Banned
  • Banned

Post 3+ Months Ago

Jim, why are you so obsessed with caps? Next you'll be complaining about too many smileys, too many vowels or too many exclamation points. This is really ridiculous.

As for your posts, I followed the advice but could not get the program figured out right away. Loosen up.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I also am glad you got the problem resolved, but you have been requested by moderators not to post in caps. JrsyCrim, may or may not be following the wishes of OZZU in his complaints about "ALL CAPS" ... but it is annoying, and known as "shouting" by internet terms. It didn't bother me in this post, because I think you had reason to "shout", but it has annoyed me as well as every other mod here in the past.

You've complied for the most part, so I have no problems. Again, I'm glad you got it resolved. Hijackthis is hard for novices to understand, but I've seen it to be very effective. Google search is loaded with tons of hijackthis logs and almost everyone I've read got resolved.
  • nimborde
  • Banned
  • Banned

Post 3+ Months Ago

The big question remains:

Why is adware not considered a virus? This should be handled by anti-virus software.

CAPS CAPS CAPS CAPS!!! :lol:
  • grinch2171
  • Genius
  • Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Post 3+ Months Ago

Norton AV 2004 scans for spyware but I don't know how well.
  • musik
  • Legend
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: up a tree

Post 3+ Months Ago

im glad you got things sorted, thanks for the heads up on the program too.. ive tucked it away in favs for a day it might come in handy :)
  • nimborde
  • Banned
  • Banned

Post 3+ Months Ago

musik, all I can say is live long and prosper and may the force be with you... always. :P
  • conorific
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: NY

Post 3+ Months Ago

Can you explain your sig to me?
  • ShEDeViL
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

He's running Windows XP, using Outlook version 6, Internet Explorer version 6 and his computer has a Pentium 4 running at 2.4 GHz?
  • conorific
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: NY

Post 3+ Months Ago

Possibly. But with him, one never knows.
  • ShEDeViL
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

Interestingly enough, I think his signature is probably the most straight forward thing that I've read from him.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 20 posts