Adware Tip

• ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I just found out one way that people unwittingly get sucked into some of the more prevalent adware e.g. MyWebsearch, and Search Assistant. I just received a greeting card from a friend I trust so I went to view it. Before the card came up I was instructed to:

Quote:
You've received a special eCard! View it now by clicking the blue button below and get free access to over 1000 eCards of your own!

* My Fun Cards comes with Free MyWebSearch toolbar, accessible directly from your browser, plus SEARCH ASSISTANT - relevant search results in response to misspelled or incorrectly formatted browser address requests.
* Plus, Smiley Central™, Cursor Mania™, Popular Screensavers™ and more!

All of the above are completely bundled with Adware. Of course the "blue button" is benignly enticing:
Quote:
View my eCard and give me free My Fun Cards Access

Of course there's a link that says "No thanks - I just want to view my card". But I can imagine the thousands of people that click the blue button unkowing.

Nor are they likely to read the EULA below (EULA == something is being installed on my computer!)

Quote:
Please read carefully. By clicking the "View My Card" button above, I accept and agree to abide by the
End User License Agreement
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• RedBMedia
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

Oh the joys of spam! :lol:

Post Information