After windows restart, IE goes back to the previous version

• wop_nuno
  • wop_nuno

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi Everyone,

I've recently formated my laptop, and in the other day i updated the internet explorer version (6) to the 7.
After that i restarted the computer and the IE is now on the previous version which is the 6. This happens every time after i make the update.

Can anyone tell me why this is happening?

Thanks a lot.

PS- i’m using Windows XP
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007
  • Loc: NY

Post 3+ Months Ago

Apparently, the shortcut is pointing to IE6 instead of IE7
iexplore.exe is the executable. Find the one that belongs to IE7 and create a shortcut on the desktop.
  • wop_nuno
  • wop_nuno

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi Don,

I don't think that my situation ha anything to shortcuts.
has i said in my initial post, after i restart my windows the IE goes back to the old version....
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

What Service Pack are you on? If by chance you are still on SP1 you will need to update to at least SP2. IE7 is not supported on SP1.
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007

Post 3+ Months Ago

You have to click on something to open IE. It doesn't open when you boot the PC and IE7 doesn't uninstall itself, so it has to have something to do with how you open it.
  • wop_nuno
  • wop_nuno

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi Don,

I don't quiet understand what you mean, but all i can say is that i install the IE 7, then the computer reboots, and when i open the IE it's the old version. What i'm i doing wrong?

PS- ATNO/TW i'm using service pack 2
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

Is there a possibility that you are using Zone Alarm 6.5 or earlier? There is a known issue that ZA 6.5 or earlier blocks install of IE7. If so uninstall it and then try again.
Some versions of Norton Security may also affect install

Don, in theory the shortcut shouldn't be an issue since the executable and location are the same in both cases. Unless wop_nuno did a side be side install in order to keep IE6 (which it doesn't sound like) the shortcut should be fine.

If you have Google Toolbar installed on IE6, uninstall it first from Add Remove Software and then try installing IE7. There are also known compatibility issues with Google Toolbar and IE7.
  • wop_nuno
  • wop_nuno

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi ATNO/TW,

I don't have Zone Alarm or Google Toolbar installed. The only anti virus i have is AVG, and i've already disabled him when installing IE.

I think i have an pirate copy... could this be the problem? How can i confirm that is deed a pirate copy?
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

Pirate copy of Windows XP or IE7? You should only be installing IE7 from the Windows Update site at Microsoft. If you got it from somewhere else, that could be the problem.
  • wop_nuno
  • wop_nuno

Post 3+ Months Ago

I got the IE 7 executable form the microsoft page, but i suspect that is the windows that is a pirate...
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

That's a possibility, I suppose. Where did you get it from? If you didn't buy it, or it wasn't factory installed, then yeah, you probably do. In which case you won't be able to install any updates, including IE7.
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007

Post 3+ Months Ago

Go to the control panel, add and remove programs and check show updates. See what updates are listed.

And/Or

Go to the windows update page and try to get all available updates.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 12 posts