aim connection problems

• yamahaboy
  • yamahaboy
  • Loc: Orland Park, Illinois

Post 3+ Months Ago

When i connect to aim it will work fine for 2 or 3 mins. After that i cant recieve or send any new messages. when i click "get info" it just says "please wait.....". After i log off and re log on it will work again for 2 or 3 mins. my connecton is cable. i dont know why it is doing this. i have un installed and re installed it two times. please help me out
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Smokenjoe
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Anchorage, AK

Post 3+ Months Ago

We've had this problem posted before, and I'll say what i said before.

1) I believe that AOL is a piece of garbage. I have a perfectly good system, and when i have installed AOl IM on 3 different occasions, and it screwed my computer up so bad i had to do a full hard drive wipe. I have found that it installs a good deal of information that is not needed. But, thats just my opinion of AOL.

2) About your problem, i first suggest running a vrius scan software (such as Norton) to determine if there was something downloaded form a bad website. Second, check for spyware (Spybot is a good program). Spyware will screw with your connection very badly, and can cause other programs to crash . AOL IM was always an extremely tempermental program when i was running it, and i expect that either spyware is interferring with the connection, or your computer is not fast enough to run the program and all your other TSR's properly.

I hope this helps you figure out the problem. Good luck
  • yamahaboy
  • yamahaboy

Post 3+ Months Ago

thanks alot, i have both nortan and spy ware. my computer is almost brand new. it is a ibm 2.4gighertz....
  • ShEDeViL
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well are you updating your virus definitions and running virus scans on a regular basis? And spyware is what you want to get rid of. You need a program like ad-aware or spybot. Same question about those, are you updating and actually running scans? It sounds to me like you have a spyware problem, probably not a virus problem. I would get spybot and ad-aware, update their definitions and then scan your computer.
  • bigcheeez
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • bigcheeez

Post 3+ Months Ago

Do you lose all network connectivity? or just AIM? I have to say that I agree with the smoker on this one. AIM has caused NOTHING but trouble on every pc I've ever worked on with it. I have to suggest not using it.
  • yamahaboy
  • yamahaboy

Post 3+ Months Ago

thanks not using it kinda outta the question llol......right now i have "Ad-aware 6.0" from lavasoft. is that what your talking about? ill try to run it right to the aim file maby? thanks
  • Metallicaboy
  • Metallicaboy
  • Loc: U.S. M'Boro

Post 3+ Months Ago

yeah Ad aware rocks but you should get spy bot it gets rid of spy ware that ad aware doesnt get.and yeah i always restart AIM if it doesnt work for me and it usually works. :wink:
  • Smokenjoe
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

You posted that your computer was a 2.4 Ghz, but that may not matter if you have a lot of TSRs running in the background. How much RAM do you have? AIM requires a large amount of it to run properly, and if your computer is trying to process to much info at once, AIM will just crash.
  • yamahaboy
  • yamahaboy

Post 3+ Months Ago

i have 256 MB of ram
  • bigcheeez
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • bigcheeez

Post 3+ Months Ago

Dont' run adaware just in the aim95 directory. Run a custom scan of your whole C drive (or whatever your main drive is.) Or you can use spybot, I haven't seen too much difference - I just prefer adaware. Make sure it is updated. Also try tweaking it to run at windows startup - that usually catches tons of stuff.
  • yamahaboy
  • yamahaboy

Post 3+ Months Ago

i just ran adware in alot more (all i think) files and i caught a bunch of more crap so well see how that works today...thanks!
  • yamahaboy
  • yamahaboy

Post 3+ Months Ago

no difference at all..........donno what to do any more...
  • Smokenjoe
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

I would re-install or get more RAM. RE-install may fix your problems. I suggest you scan for virus's and adware/spyware just to clean out your system. Maybe do a de-frag. Get everything running properly, then try again.
  • yamahaboy
  • yamahaboy

Post 3+ Months Ago

yeah i did all that but add more ram. Im the only one using this computer so theres really not games or any thing like that. I noticed that it does what it does alot more then i surfing the internt.
  • Smokenjoe
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

Do you know what I mean when I say that TSRs can be interferring? A TSR is a program that runs in the background. Like all the stuff that loads at the bottom of the screen in the start menu on the right. If you have a lot of those, they can screw it up.
  • Matthew Chase
  • Matthew Chase
  • Loc: Michigan, USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

What version of AIM are you using? The latests versions SUCK. Try finding AIM 5.2. It's a nice stable version and then find something like an old version of DeadAIM to enhance it. It words beautifully.

AIM 5.5 gave me hell. Most people I've talked to say its an abomination... I agree. You want 5.2... of course, you could also download Trillian.

Of course it still might be another problem. But this might be worth a try.
  • Teardropdesigns
  • Teardropdesigns
  • Loc: U.S.A

Post 3+ Months Ago

i also had this problem, just edit the conet.exe to cabe.exe

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 17 posts