AIM Difficulty

• Drabros
  • Born
  • Born
  • Loc: Albany, NY

Post 3+ Months Ago

I've been modding AIM for a while now. I have been using DeadAIM, and then subsequently, I was going to move over to AIMutation. But about 24 hours ago, my AIM completely stopped functioning. When I go to start it up, it'll log on to the windows process list, but it won't start up as a program. I've tried using every version of AIM I have, the new ones, the old ones. Dead AIM and AIMutation. None of them work, none of them have any different effect. I've restarted, reinstalled, cleaned my computer files... I've tried everything I know, and I can't seem to come up with a solution.

I enjoy fixing problems myself, but this one has me completely stumped. I have honestly no clue on how to fix this problem, and I have found no other place to ask it than here. Much as AIM itself does not accept specific questions, and none of the individuals I know have been able to come up with a solution either.

EDIT:

The reason I put this in here is that it seems to be some difficulty with windows starting up the exe file into a program, though it starts it as a process. Now, how it could start it as a process and not a program, when it is a program, I do not know. (I'd call myself an advanced user, but this is far out of my league)
  • Cactus
  • Born
  • Born

Post 3+ Months Ago

That service is TEMORARLY UNAVAILABLE...

AIMutation is not gone, nor is it now free. There was apparently a rift between the partners of 545studios, and the site is presently down, but will be back soon. Stay tuned for more.

545 Studios is undergoing a redesign and will be offline until it's complete. We apologise for the inconvenience.

see here...
http://www.545studios.com/

Cactus
  • MOC
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Ocean City , Maryland

Post 3+ Months Ago

http://www.majorgeeks.com/download4348.html

AIM Fix 1.0

AIM Fix was created to remove all known AIM viruses in one consolidated removal tool. It is designed to end the virus processes, delete the files, and remove registry keys created by the virus.

09/13/04

It's only a day old so you did not no about it.
  • Drabros
  • Born
  • Born

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thank you for the heads up, Cactus. And MOC, I downloaded that program and ran it, but it didn't detect anything. I've run my Symantec Client, and that has come up with nothing either. I'm not sure if it's a virus, or some file is corrupt... or... I honestly don't know. BUt, that program didn't seem to work, much as it still is not booting.

Thank you for that file, though.
  • MOC
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

Then before you do anything else you need to un-install anything
to do with AIM,the go into Regedit and do a find on AIM, and delete
all instances of AIM ...Then install it all over again and try from there.

And thats coming from my 14 year old daughter(confirmed expert on AIM) lol

She says get the new beta or go back to the first one .

http://www.oldversion.com/

Newer is not better.

If you remove all traces of it from the Registry,and you still have problems, then you got problems elsewere...not with AIM..

I take it you have a good internet connection ?
for troubleshooting,after you reinstall it ,I would
go into Msconfig ,and uncheck everything under startup,
then re-boot and click on the AIM Icon and see if it starts up.

http://aftermath.dyndns.org:8888/~aimadhack/

side note; Norton is a real resource hog !(years ago Norton was the cats meow) but not anymore (do a search on ant-virus software results)
most of the free antivirus software out there are better ,have daily updates,use very little resources,.

AntVir being the best.
  • lucassix
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Indiana

Post 3+ Months Ago

This would probably fix your problem too:

http://gaim.sourceforge.net/ :wink:

But seriously, if you don't like GAIM, you can temporarly install it to make sure it is just the AIM program that is giving you problems and not a bigger issue.
  • Drabros
  • Born
  • Born

Post 3+ Months Ago

I honestly don't know what it is. It hasn't been working, so I did the only thing I knew how- I downgraded windows SP2- that infamous fix that seems to make everything worse. On top if it, it still didn't work. I let it sit overnight, turned on. Morning, I tried it again, and AIM was working again.

Then, I did the only thing I shouldn't do, as a windows user. I reinstalled it. Yet, this time, when I reinstalled it, AIM maintained working flawlessly. I honestly don't know what it was, or what could have caused that. It's working now, and my machine is back to the way it was.... But no troubles this time. Thank you everyone for your help, but I want to find out if this happens to more programs than just AIM, and what causes it- it's been a pain. THank you once again, though.
  • MOC
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

you never said anything about having SP2 installed.
Good thing your an Advanced User an new all about
the P2P problems and connection problems,and how
SP2 installs a heavy firewall (and starts it up) by Default.

Read my post: we could have solved this awhile ago
if you had said that you had SP2,installed .lol
Thats it just download like the shepple,everything
will be okay

I am done with this post ,you wasted my time .
http://www.ozzu.com/mswindows-forum/service-pack-limits-the-concurrent-tcp-connections-t31179.html

[quote]I'd call myself an advanced user.[/quote

I've been doing this since 1976,and I don't
even call myself that .lol ..Tell me when you got
over 20 years under your belt.
  • Drabros
  • Born
  • Born

Post 3+ Months Ago

Your sarcasm is not much appreciated. I would maintain to call myself that. Yet, I was given this laptop from my college only a few weeks ago. I am still not sure the extent of the upgrades and installs that they have done on it. Though I may not be as advanced as you are, at least I attempt to maintain some humility. Something that you obviously do not have.

And yes, I am aware of all the tweaks that are required for SP2- I merely did not know that it was already upgraded on my machine when my college gave it to me.
  • MOC
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

humility:

The state or quality of being humble; freedom from arrogance; lowliness of mind; a modest estimate of one's own worth; a sense of one's own unworthiness through imperfection and sinfulness; self-abasement; humbleness.

Nope can't say that I am !?

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 10 posts