always getting weak connection

• Skirge
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Skirge
  • Loc: nashua nh

Post 3+ Months Ago

hey guys my pc has a wireless card by belkin and i have a wireless router by netgear and every so often my connection gets really really low and i fixed it once by encrypting a password but now it doesent work anymore so i was wondering if anyone can help me i have called my router company and belkin and they keep blaming each other and they always asked if the distance between the card and the router is far and i always say no cuz im directly above the router the router is in a room under mine and nothing is between it besides wood i also have a wireless phone that i think could be interfering with it it is a 2.4 ghz frequency but i highly doubt that becaus my connection used to be perfect but now it isnt i have also been told to uninsall the card take it out install the software then add the card it worked but then the weak connection came back about a month later ive asked lots of peope but no one seams to know what the problem any suggestions would be helpful
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Arcath
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: New England

Post 3+ Months Ago

Different manufactures really shouldn't matter, they have to build them all the same to comply with the same standard or they don't get certification in that standard (802.11_)

You said you were operating in the 2.4Ghz range so you are using 802.11b or 802.11g. Both of which are effected by cordless phones, walkie talkies, microwave ovens, your neighbors 802.11b & g equipment, Bluetooth devices, and a number of other things.

If you have talkative teenage neighbors with 2.4ghz cordless phones and a couple other neighbors with 802.11 devices installed you might want to think about changing to 802.11a devices that operate in the 5ghz range. Much less interference but shorter ranges, this shouldn’t be a problem if you are just using it in your home.

One thing you could do now is try different channels, if you have a neighbor using the same channel as you are now, changing it will make a difference
  • Arcath
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: New England

Post 3+ Months Ago

One other thing, if you are comparing your throughput to what the max throughput for that standard is the numbers will be off. In reality 802.11b has a max throughput of 11Mbps but typical throughput of about 4-5Mbps and 802.11g has a max of 54Mbps and typical 22Mbps connection.

Minimizing 802.11 Interference Issues:
http://www.wi-fiplanet.com/tutorials/article.php/953511

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 3 posts