Anyone know of a good and free Pop-up/message killer?

• Acyla
  • Acyla

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm having a very irrating problem where I keep getting random messages on my screen. They're not IE or Netscape pop ups but instead are very similar to those which Windows has in look. They can come up and annoy you even when you're offline as well.

Anyone know how to kill these little buggers?

Acyla
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• ModernDestroyer
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Loc: California

Post 3+ Months Ago

They have just one button labeled "ok". Are u running XP?
  • ModernDestroyer
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

If it is XP, win2k. Go to control panel, then to computer management then to services. look for MSN messenger. Double click on it. Click stop and change it from Automatic to manual. That should stop the messages if they are the same ones I'm thinking of.
  • Acyla
  • Acyla

Post 3+ Months Ago

The ones you described in the first mesage are it and yes I am running XP. I turned them off but I won't know until about 15 minutes are gone if they're gone.

Is that how they're activated though MSN?

Thank you for all your help ModernDestroyer.

Acyla
  • ModernDestroyer
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

They are not coming from MSN, that is just a way of advertising. They would have keep popping up different messages if you hadn't turned them off, then eventually there would be one for a removal tool. Of course you would have to buy the removal tool. basically you just did the samething the remedy they are selling would have done. The massager uses certain ports on your computer and the messages are coming thru those ports, by manually turning them off you won't receive them anymore. You can still use messenger, just make sure it doesn't automaticlly connect all the time. Enjoy :D
  • Acyla
  • Acyla

Post 3+ Months Ago

Still recieving one from B-opp.com I think that this was somehow downloaded onto my computer in the Windows folder though but i'm not sure which file it could be.

I think the others are gone though but the one from b-opp I think was given to me generously by Kazaa when I installed it onto my computer.

I don't seem to be recieving pop ups on the others though.

Thanking you for your help

Acyla
  • ModernDestroyer
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

Another thing that might help get rid of the last one is Ad-aware. It is free to download. It removes spy ware from your computer. here is the link
http://www.lavasoftusa.com/
go to downloads on the left hand side of the screen, then select a mirror site to download from. It doesn't matter which operating system you choose from the mirror site, ad-aware ver 6.0 works on XP, Win98, ME, 2000 and I think even 95. It's a 1.7mb file, tucows is a good site to download it from. Let me know how it turns out for you, don't be surprised if ad-aware lists anywhere from 10 to 200 objects. You can right click on one object and tell it to select all. Then just click remove, if you want to totally remove the objects go to the quarantine section and tell it to delete quarantine. Enjoy :D
  • Acyla
  • Acyla

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have Ad-Aware installed but I find that Spybot does a lot better job in discovering stuff like that. Still they both seem to be able to discover flaws that the other can't seem to find so I have them both installed.

http://www.safer-networking.org

I don't think that either managed to catch the b-opp one though. Still that doesn't come around that often as it used to (I'm a bit lazy on the checks so that might be it as well).

Acyla
  • ModernDestroyer
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

cool, well I was glad to help, even thou it wasn't much :D
  • Acyla
  • Acyla

Post 3+ Months Ago

You helped plenty just read over the posts earlier pasted here.

Thanks again

Acyla
  • cyber_craft
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

You might have spyware on your computer to my favorite program for spyware is a freeware program spybot search and destroy

http://www.safer-networking.org/en/download/index.html

have fun!
  • AthenasBane
  • Student
  • Student
  • AthenasBane
  • Loc: Memphis, TN

Post 3+ Months Ago

best popup blocker i know of is google's toolbar. not relevant anymore but that was the subject anyway:)
  • Skirge
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Skirge
  • Loc: nashua nh

Post 3+ Months Ago

if ur willing to spend 30 to 40 USD u can buy a great program called spy sweeper it finds just about everything i use it and i havent gotten a popup since
  • darksat
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: London (via the rest of the world)

Post 3+ Months Ago

Download shoot the messanger
or is it kill the messanger?
  • UNFLUX
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: twitter.com/unflux

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
Posted: Sat Sep 27, 2003 11:06 pm
  • Fargo
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Loc: From Washington DC. , Currently In Sofia Bulgaria

Post 3+ Months Ago

AthenasBane wrote:
best popup blocker i know of is google's toolbar. not relevant anymore but that was the subject anyway:)

I agree the best one is so far google's toolbar it works like charm and it is FREE. :D

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 16 posts