anyone know how to block GAIN?

• simpleminded
  • simpleminded
  • Loc: Arlington, VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm trying to eliminate GAIN advertisements from my network. I have a firewall that blocks adware access to the internet. Does anyone know if GAIN uses a specific IP or Domain to get all its info from. Or a way to scrub it from systems without running a program such as Ad-Aware? Thanks for the help..... :)
  • Machi
  • Born
  • Born
  • Loc: nyc

Post 3+ Months Ago

This is how I got rid of Gain...

First I removed from my computer using "add/remove programs." Then I used a program called SpyBot to get rid all my spyware. This took care of my issues with Gain and others.

If this sounds good, you can download SpyBot for free at http://www.download.com

Remeber to go through the tutorial because spybpt is a "use at your own risk" software but it not that scary at all.

Hope this helps.
  • simpleminded
  • simpleminded

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thats helpful. But I was looking for a network wide solution. As in blocking an IP that GAIN uses or web address at the gateway level. Thanks though. GAIN sucks! 8)
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I thought this was a kicker from GAIN's own site:

Quote:
Q. Why isn't GAIN listed in the Add/Remove Programs window?

A. While you cannot uninstall GAIN AdServer software (i.e. the software that delivers GAIN Network ads) directly, you can uninstall any/all GAIN supported applications at any time by using the Add/Remove Programs list. Once you have uninstalled all GAIN supported applications, GAIN AdServer software is designed to stop delivering advertising, and self uninstall.

I have no clue if they'll be any help to you but they say they will try to assist you in removing all GAIN-related components here: support@gainpublishing.com

It's probably going to be a royal pain to remove it network wide with one fell swoop. You'll probably have to do it from each of the respective workstations individually. I've had to do the same with Gator, Kazaa and a variety of others at my work place. Fortunately I only have about 40 workstations.

As you'll note in the above quote, once all the components are removed the Adserver software will "theoretically" self-uninstall. I seriously doubt that, but *shrug. *grins -- just ask your boss for overtime!

Here's the link I was using for the above information:
http://www.gainpublishing.com/help/gainfaq.html
  • simpleminded
  • simpleminded

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks again for the help. But you guys are missing the point of my question. I know how to remove the software, but.... I am asking if it is possible to block the software's access to the internet to prevent it from working. That way adsupported software can be used without the annoyance. See what I'm saying? There has to be a specific site that GAIN accesses for an update to web addresses for the popup windows. If GAIN cannot acces these sites it will not work. :twisted:
  • Alkatr0z
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Alkatr0z
  • Loc: Adelaide, Australia

Post 3+ Months Ago

I know its not quite what you are looking for but I just replaced the gain exe file with a dummy exe file that unloaded itself when it was loaded. Seems to work and doesn't interfere with the software the program was installed with either.
I can supply it if you want it(or the source code if you can compile it, its just a simple VB program).

Alkatr0z
  • Alkatr0z
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Alkatr0z
  • Loc: Adelaide, Australia

Post 3+ Months Ago

Okayy, After observing the monitor on my firewall for a few minutes it appears to get attempt to connect to one of three servers. THey are:
64.152.73.180:80
64.152.73.238:80
And 64.152.73.236:80
Those *should* block it but without observing it for awhile its hard to say if there are more. I prefer the use of a dummy file as then it can't collect any info at all. But firewall blocking is an easier method for a large collection of computers. It has cycled through those 3 servers a few times so looks likely they are the only ones.

Alkatr0z
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Nice work Alkatr0z. That appears to be exactly what simpleminded was looking for.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 8 posts