Anything internet = Illegal Operation

• b_heyer
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Maryland

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ok, this is what's going on.

My mom had an old 266, and I had an old 450 in my room, then I got a hold of a 500, and replaced that with the 450, and decided it'd be nice to put the 450 board in my moms computer, so she could get a little speed boost. So regardless I managed to get it up and working almost completely. The only thing that doesn't work is when it tries to access the internet from IE or WeatherBug, it pops up an illegal operation. I can't access the network either (through network neighborhood)). Nor will 192.168.1.1 access the router, I get an illegal operation if I try. I however can freely renew/release my IP through winipcfg, so the computer can get the proper address from DHCP (built in to router).

I have tried deleting the NIC from the hardware list and rebooting to have windows auto detect it.

I'm using windows 98. Any help will greatly be apreciated. I am going to try google, but the search terms are going to be really vague, so I probably wont turn up much, then again, never underestimate google ;).
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• JrzyCrim
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

This is a shot in the dark but, I have a friend who had a similar problem when he had Active Desktop Enabled.

Might be worth a try...
  • b_heyer
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'll go check *runs down to the basement*

*whew*
Ok it's not active desktop and I ran a few other checks. I took it out of the switch which is connected to two computers and the uplink of the router, and attached it directly to the router, which didn't work either. I can also release the IP and load IE with no problem, just no internet.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Weatherbug incorporates spyware/adware. I nix it from every computer I see it on. Typically you end up with Gain or Gator adware /spyware stuff if you install it as well.

Nix it and tell your mom to go to weather.com for her weather.

Check this

http://www.kephyr.com/spywarescanner/li ... ndex.phtml
  • b_heyer
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

oh I'm well aware of it being a spyware/adware haven. I guess it could make sense if the adware was specified to the old system, linked to it somehow, that everytime I ran through the internet it would borg it up. I'll find spybot s&d again and run it...

Rah I don't feel like dealing with this...*hates windoze*
  • Foxy
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: places..

Post 3+ Months Ago

b_heyer wrote:
oh I'm well aware of it being a spyware/adware haven. I guess it could make sense if the adware was specified to the old system, linked to it somehow, that everytime I ran through the internet it would borg it up. I'll find spybot s&d again and run it...

Rah I don't feel like dealing with this...*hates windoze*

http://www.apple.com/

=) :D :oops: 8)

:lol:
  • UNFLUX
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: twitter.com/unflux

Post 3+ Months Ago

what kind of help is that foxy? there's always on in the crowd, isn't there
  • b_heyer
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

Foxy - http://www.linxuiso.org

;)

My parents hate change. They can't stand the fact they have no clue how to use my computer :-P
  • Foxy
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: places..

Post 3+ Months Ago

LINUX.....
:P ew.. You cant play games on it, On my mac, I have virtual pc, and virtual Red hat 9 all running nicely 8)
god it owns.

*hugs her mac*

UNFLUX- He said he hates windows, I was suggesting a new o.s ;)
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: Sub-level 28

Post 3+ Months Ago

*sigh*

You CAN play games on Linux, but many of the GAMES COMPANIES don't support Linux (NOT the other way around).

On my Linux boxes I have speed, stability & security. If you wanna play games, get a console :)

Apple isn't an alternative to Windows, Apple is an alternative to PC :)

And if you "eww" Linux, why are you running it on your Mac? :)
  • Smokenjoe
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Anchorage, AK

Post 3+ Months Ago

lol, lets not rip TOO much on Foxy. Although, I have to agree with Axe. Linux=stability, no way around it. Its not designed to run video games. If you want video games, use windows/console.
Of course, I use windows, but I like Linux whenever I use it. Never had too much problem with it.

In answer to the actual question, have you tried accesing the network on your machine? I'm sure that you have, but if not it may have to do with the fact that the network hub is bad. Otherwise I'm assuming that the computer is either not detecting the network card or the software is corrupted. What brand? I am ASSUMING that it has drivers and software etc.........
  • b_heyer
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

It was all 200 adware instances that were nuked upon detection. Computer works "fine" now! Thanks everyone :)
  • Smokenjoe
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

wow, 200? dang. That makes me think of when I was working on my friends computer. It wasnt runing correctly, so I ran adAware, and it came up with over 400 things to kill. It was insane.
  • b_heyer
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

two other computers running windows had 190 and 120 when I checked them. Crazy.
  • Smokenjoe
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

Its getting impossible to go ANYWHERE without picking some up. Kinda frustrating. Oh well. I geuss that there will always be people who want to screw up peoples systems.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 15 posts