Apache & IIS7 on one machine

• mzainims

Post 3+ Months Ago

Maybe this is a nooby question - so be it :lol:

I have always go the fast way of installing Apache, php & mysql; by using packaged one by wamp - very easy. I have tried the 'hard'way by installing 'part-by-part' but it goes blunder.

Ok, let's get to the main machine.
I have a laptop (old school dell hp xps m1210), loaded with Vista Business and maybe will be installing the wampserver.
However, the port for sure will be pointing to :80... question is:

1. How am I gonna install IIS7 on this laptop? (dual server Apache/IIS)

I need to code either in ASPX or PHP; both will be utilizing the mysql (can this be done?)

Thanks in advance.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Poly
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Same place you left me.

Post 3+ Months Ago

Moved to Windows forum.

As far as installing IIS7, its fairly straight forward. The new IIS has modules for installing PHP and MySQL functionality. MySQL may be included by default, can't remember for sure. To install IIS7, go to iis.net. It is the official Microsoft website for IIS and they have excellent guides as well as the downloads and module downloads.
  • mzainims

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks for moving this question of mine to the right thread.

Myself installing PWS/IIS is waaaayyy back in 1980's.... so it will be 'too rusty' for me.

so... to the answer given is :

1. Install IIS7 on my Vista? No need installing Wampserver (for my php)?
  • Poly
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Same place you left me.

Post 3+ Months Ago

I would stay away from Wamp or any of the prebuilt packages such as that. They generally are not very secure, as they have the majority of the features turned on and security settings turned off(to make it easy to install and so users don't have to dig around to turn on common settings). IIS keeps everything patched and by default has good security settings.

As far as installing PHP for ISS, it is pretty easy to do. Check out: http://www.iis.net/community/default.as ... g=6&i=2007 Should help you out. The installs are all easy to do and provide you with instructions as you are going.
  • Zealous
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Sydney

Post 3+ Months Ago

xxamp should work fine for local use behind a firewall but i remember i made a web server manually installing each program and editing config files, was not that hard but xxamp makes life easy apart from when you install it on windows 7 it never works.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 5 posts