Apache Web Server on Windows - Perl and CGi Scripting

• MaD-BrAiN
  • MaD-BrAiN

Post 3+ Months Ago

I am running apache web server on windows and I need some help with putting a member user registration system in. Looks as though I can do it in asp or perl cgi or even php. But i am not sure where to put the files and if apache is configured and such. Could Someone help me out please. TY. yim @ dude1689. TY.

HEy. I have recently set up apache web server on my server computer. I have html so far on my site and that is easy just uploading it to the htdocs folder. But I want to create a member/user login system for the site. I know php would be the way to go, but It is tooo rigid for me. I dont want just a forum looking thing. I want to be able to customize it all. SO i have found some cgi scripts that work as member/user registration and login. However i dont know exactly how to integrate that into apacher server and onto my website. I have tried putting the cgi scripts in the cgi-bin but I think my #! /whatever/perl is not right or something. If someone could help me out with this I would be greatly appreciative. I have been looking around and I just cant find anything that can help me out. TY sooo much. U can contact me on yim @ dude1689. Thanks In advance.
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin
  • Loc: Seattle, WA & Phoenix, AZ

Post 3+ Months Ago

Are you meaning you kind of want a control panel for your server for the users? so that they can manage their own accounts and such? or something different? In either case it would all depend on the software for how to install it. There is usually a readme or INSTALL file that explains the exact process you need to take.
  • MaD-BrAiN
  • MaD-BrAiN

Post 3+ Months Ago

K. Well i have cgi scripts that i am trying to execute for user registration on my site. But when I click register it trys to download the script. THere is some coding or configuration wrong with either my apacher server. I got the cgi scripts from someone. If u could help me out that would be splendid. Or if u have any other ideas about how to setup user registration so that I can get a member base for my site that would be also really good. I dont want to use php though. TY.
  • UNFLUX
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: twitter.com/unflux

Post 3+ Months Ago

sounds to me like you need an htaccess file in yourscript dir to run
properly. If that's the case, use this code in it -
Code: [ Select ]
Options +ExecCGI

AddHandler cgi-script .cgi

AddHandler cgi-script .pl
  1. Options +ExecCGI
  2. AddHandler cgi-script .cgi
  3. AddHandler cgi-script .pl
works for me anyway. hope that helps.
  • MaD-BrAiN
  • MaD-BrAiN

Post 3+ Months Ago

Where do i place that code?
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin

Post 3+ Months Ago

Make a file called .htaccess (yes it starts with a period) and place it in your root directory on your website with the contents of what Unflux said above. It may or may not work depending on your host's configuration.
  • MaD-BrAiN
  • MaD-BrAiN

Post 3+ Months Ago

I am my own host. And i have a file .htaccess. I will try and open it and put that in there. THanks. We shall see. I have been reading up but i dont know how to do some of the stuff to configure the apache server. Does ScriptAlias ring a bell to anyone. Would that help me out and how would i do that on windows XP. Also. How do i change the properties of a folder so that i can write to it. I ahve this data folder that i am supposed to change the properties to write. How is that possible. It has a shaded readonly check on it right now. TY.
  • MaD-BrAiN
  • MaD-BrAiN

Post 3+ Months Ago

The thing i am trying to use is called Profile Manager 1.15. It is supposed to be a user registration program. When i click register on the register page it tries and downloads the pm.cgi for some odd reason. If anyone is more familiar with a different user registration program and can help me configure it with my webserver. I would be forever grateful. I just really want to get my user registration thing working. That is all i need on my site right now. That is all i am lacking.
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin

Post 3+ Months Ago

MaD-BrAiN wrote:
I am my own host. And i have a file .htaccess. I will try and open it and put that in there. THanks. We shall see. I have been reading up but i dont know how to do some of the stuff to configure the apache server. Does ScriptAlias ring a bell to anyone. Would that help me out and how would i do that on windows XP. Also. How do i change the properties of a folder so that i can write to it. I ahve this data folder that i am supposed to change the properties to write. How is that possible. It has a shaded readonly check on it right now. TY.

If you are your own host, then you should be fine, but it might depend on your default httpd.conf settings on to whether or not you can override Apache directives with that .htaccess file. If your .htaccess file does not work you will need to likely telnet or ssh into your box and edit the httpd.conf file so that you can either override with the .htaccess file, or change the default settings right in the httpd.conf file so that the hander for .cgi is given and so that you can execute CGI scripts.

As far as the problem you are having with it downloading part of the script, it definetely sounds to me like the problem is either your permissions of the files, or you do not have a handler setup for that cgi script, which Unflux told you how to do with the .htaccess file.
  • MaD-BrAiN
  • MaD-BrAiN

Post 3+ Months Ago

I added the stuff into the .htaccess file, but it doesnt seem to have done anything. i have securecrt on the server is that a telnet thing? I am not that familiar with telnet and not sure how it all works. It makes me connect to a different computer. how do i point it to myself? And thanks for the continued help i just want this thing to work. LOL. ANd i love this forum so I am definetly going to stick around and help out other people. GREAT FORUM!
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin

Post 3+ Months Ago

I am assuming you are using Vandyke SecureCRT? or something else? You can use that for both ssh and telnet. It is up to you and it depends on what your server has enabled. Simply put in your ip address for the host and connect using your username and password. Once you figure that out you would need to edit your httpd.conf file usually located here:

/etc/httpd/conf/httpd.conf

but if you have no experience using the shell, this maybe be really advanced for you. You should probably find a bash tutorial which walks you through on how to use a shell so you are able to do whatever you need in one. And if you are your own host, I definitely recommend you learn.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 11 posts