ATI Radeon 9600 Pro Freeze on Alt Tab

• PenTaGon
  • Student
  • Student
  • PenTaGon
  • Loc: FL

Post 3+ Months Ago

My Radeon vid card freezes when I Alt Tab out of a game. It doesn't do it everytime I Alt Tab but I'd say 1/5 times it will. When I say freeze I don't mean the game freezes, I mean it turns to a black screen and then eventually will restart the computer (don't know why). I have the latest drivers.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• beings
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

ok first of all how do you know its your video card thats causing the problem? i have the same video card but its a Sapphire radeon 9600pro 256mb.

Are these crashes all in the same game?
Some games do not start back up if you hit ALT tab (mostly old games). I cant remember the names of the games that wont let you return to the game if you hit alt tab, but there are games. it would let you hit alt tab and bring you back to windows but when you tryed to go back into the game it would go black. i remember the same sort of thing happened with the black screen with every computer ive ever used with every different sort of video card so i doubt its your card its probably the game.
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: Sub-level 28

Post 3+ Months Ago

A lot of games don't like being ALT+Tabbed in and out of - and sometimes it's a driver/directx combination that doesn't like it.
  • PenTaGon
  • Student
  • Student
  • PenTaGon
  • Loc: FL

Post 3+ Months Ago

thanks for the replies..any clue on what i might do to fix it? and no im not positive its my vid card doing it..but that would be the most logical answer imo
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: Sub-level 28

Post 3+ Months Ago

try new drivers
try reinstalling directx
try checking with the game's manual/website/creators to see if it even likes being ALT+Tabbed out of.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 5 posts