Attrib removing "read only"

• Jim101
  • Jim101

Post 3+ Months Ago

I copied a "bunch" of music (mp3) to a external hard drive. I am now trying to organize it, when I start up a program to modify the tag on the music it is showing Read Only. I have been messing around this for ~3 days and cannot remove Read only on the main folder or amy folders on the removable drive. I have been using Attrib -r +r drive/folder and many varations of that command with no success. When the files are on the orginial PC the program works fine, I also had no problems copying them to the external hard drive.... I need help.

Thanks,

Jim
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007
  • Loc: NY

Post 3+ Months Ago

Are you running that command from a C: prompt or from the letter of the drive?
  • Jim101
  • Jim101

Post 3+ Months Ago

Don,

I have done it from both, D and C, no luck. The files were on my desktop, I copied them to a removable...Accessing the files from my laptop on the removable they are Read Only, if I copy them to the laptop I can access/modify them.. I just don't get it..

Jim
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007
  • Loc: NY

Post 3+ Months Ago

Is the folder that holds the mp3 read only too? If it is, try to change it.
  • Jim101
  • Jim101

Post 3+ Months Ago

Don,

Yes, the folder that holds the mp3's is read only and I have tried to remove read only from it too. No luck.

Jim
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

You said:
Quote:
when I start up a program to modify the tag on the music it is showing Read Only.

What program exactly are you using to change the tag? (I'm wondering if it's the program that's the issue). You should be able to change attributes on an external drive as easily as you can on your laptop or any PC using CMD.

Have you viewed any of the files in the Command window to see what the attributes actually are? Simple example:

attrib x:\mystubbornfile.mp3 (where x: is the drive -- will display the attributes of the file - typically this will be A for archive bit and nothing else, for an mp3).

Then try changing a couple:
attrib +R +H x:\mystubbornfile.mp3 (will make the file read only and hidden).

Then test to see if it changed.
attrib x:\mystubbornfile.mp3 (should show A R and H)

If you can successfully change the attributes in the command window, then your program you are using is what you should be looking at. You might need to check documentation to see if special permissions might be needed for accessing files and changing them on a remote drive.
  • Jim101
  • Jim101

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks for the reply, here is what I found out. It's not the "song" that is Read Only, it's the file folder. The main folder "Music" and all the sub-folders, artists and albums....
Is there a different Attrib command for File Folders? When I try Attrib -r (Drive)\(Folder) I get Paramater Format Not Correct..

Thanks,

Jim
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

You would type

attrib -r (drive):\(folder)\* /S /D

The Wildcard (*) is necessary to apply the attribute to all the files and subfolders.
The /S switch processes all the files in the current folder and all subfolders and the /D switch processes folders as well. (Make sure the S and D are both Capitalized and don't leave out the colon like you did in your example)

The only problem with this is that it won't apply the attribute to the parent folder. So in your example (folder) is still going to be read only, but all the files inside and all subfolders and files will have the attributes applied.

To remove the read attribute from (drive):\(folder) you would have to do:

attrib -r (drive):\* /S /D

That would remove the read only attribute from everything on the external drive (which could take a few minutes to apply depending how many files and folders you have on there so plan on some patience).
  • grinch2171
  • Genius
  • Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Post 3+ Months Ago

What operating system are we dealing with here?

Windows Vista and 7 would probably need you to run the command prompt as an administrator. I've run into crap like this before even though I am logged in as the administrator.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

Good point. I forget about that because as domain admin it doesn't matter but on my girlfriend's home computers (one vista and one 7) I have to do that.
  • Jim101
  • Jim101

Post 3+ Months Ago

The Desktop is XP Pro and the laptop is Vista.....The Laptop will be going to XP Pro. I have a lic. copy for it, but the more I read the more I am hearing it is not just a easy scrub the hard drive and install XP.....

Jim
  • Jim101
  • Jim101

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well, when I use attrib -r (drive):\* /S /D I get Path not found
- D:\*\S......

Jim
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

OK. Let me deduce some things.
I'm assuming you are having problems when you are trying to access them with your Laptop (which is Vista) correct? But not when doing it with your XP PC?

Can I also assume that you have your external drive still hooked up to your PC and you are trying to access it from your laptop via a share with a drive mapping or Vista's public file sharing?

If that is the case that's your problem. You can't change attributes or permissions on a shared mapped drive from a remote computer.

You would need to hook your external drive directly to your laptop.

Just guessing here...
  • Jim101
  • Jim101

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yes I am having problems accessing the files on my laptop.
The external is connected via a USB to the laptop, I am using explorer to access the external drive. I am directing the Attrib commands to the external drive (D). Here is the "rub" if I copy a file folder (album) to the Laptop I have no problems..

Thanks,
Jim
  • Jim101
  • Jim101

Post 3+ Months Ago

I connected the external drive to the desktop(where the music came from) Did a Change Dir. to the external drive, typed in attrib -r G:\*/S/D and received Path not found?
Any ideas? The File Folders are the only items that have "Read Only" on them

Thanks,

Jim
  • Jim101
  • Jim101

Post 3+ Months Ago

More....The external drive is still connected to the Desktop (XP Pro) when I do a Dir on the ex. dr. it only shows "Camera" and not the music Folder? From explorer on "G" it shows (2) folders Music and Camera.............The Camera Folder is the same as Music, as far as the Read Only on the main folder and sub-folders?

Jim
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm out of ideas at the moment. That's rather weird.
  • Jim101
  • Jim101

Post 3+ Months Ago

I think I found the problem. I started fooling around with the external hard drive. I changed some parameters in "Sharing" and I think that solved the problem....I'll play around with it an let you know...Is there an area on the board that covers going from Vista to XP Pro??

Thanks for the help, it narrowed down the problem......

Jim
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

Glad you solved it, and for Vista to XP just create a new post for it here in the Windows forum.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 19 posts