Auto-dating backups using ntbackup?

• humbletech99
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have a requirement to auto-date backups and am just using the plain old in-built ntbackup program that ships with windows by default. The requirement is small, I don't have/can't buy another backup program.

I am using the built-in backup utility in windows to just back up system state and I want the backups to not overwrite each other, I had a look at doing this, tried putting in %date% in the "backup media or file name" box on the backup tab but I don't think it worked.

Do I need to write a script to rotate and name each backup each day before the next backup runs?

Sorry if I missed something obvious...
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007
  • Loc: NY

Post 3+ Months Ago

It's been awhile since I've used NT Backup but there should be an option to append the files and not overwrite them. If you are using a tape drive, another choice would be to have one for each day.

No matter what, the properties of the backup file, should hold the creation date.
  • humbletech99
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

but then you end up making one massive backup file.

If the file is corrupted, or grows too large for the filesystem, you could lose all backup sets, or you need to reclaim space you can't easily delete the older backups...?
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007
  • Loc: NY

Post 3+ Months Ago

It shouldn't be 'one massive backup file'. It would be separate backup files on the same tape the same way you might have separate Word Docs in the My Documents folder.
  • humbletech99
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

hmmm, ok, but I'm sure after 2 days my backup file grew to double the size.... I'll have to check again though.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 5 posts