My Autologon Goof

• jammer2552
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

I've used TweakUI's autologon feature to log me on automatically for the past couple of years. Well, yesterday, someone else had to use my laptop for a photography event, so I had it automatically log on as guest. Now, I can't take off the autologon for Guest. As soon as I log out of guest to re-logon as me, it logs me on as Guest. I've booted in safe mode, but that didn't help. TweakUI doesn't let me edit the autologon settings because I'm not an administrator on the Guest account. I need a way to logon to ME!

HELP!
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007
  • Loc: NY

Post 3+ Months Ago

http://lifehacker.com/software/windows- ... 290435.php
  • jammer2552
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

The command prompt does not accept blank passwords - and the admin account password is blank (yes i know it's bad, but it's not internet-accessible)

Any other suggestions? btw - net user is useless also
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007
  • Loc: NY

Post 3+ Months Ago

Put in any password. It should accept it and that should be it.
  • jammer2552
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

Don2007 wrote:
Put in any password. It should accept it and that should be it.

Ummm. WHAT?! If it worked that way - anyone could get in!

This is still unsolved!
  • bodom321
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • bodom321

Post 3+ Months Ago

ok try this, click on the "log off" button in your start button and instead of choosing lof of choose "switch user" if that works it will give you an screen to log in another account, if you don;t see the admin account in there then press ctrl alt delete press delete twice without unpressing ctrl and alt.

that will give you another small windows to type the username and password, just type administrator in the username box and press enter, that should give you access to the admin account
  • jammer2552
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

I do not have fast user switching enabled - I usually use only one account. Besides, as I said originally, I don't even get to see the logon screen - the autologon script logs me in automatically to the restricted guest account.
  • grinch2171
  • Genius
  • Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Post 3+ Months Ago

Access regedit and navigate to:

hkey local machine\software\microsoft\windows nt\current version\winlogon

See if there is anything there about auto admin logon. The value will be set to 1 change it to 0.
  • bodom321
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • bodom321

Post 3+ Months Ago

why don;t you try boot up in safe mode, then disable the guest account and then open your registry and go to this key:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\SpecialAccounts\UserList]

then add a dword key, name it administrator, then set a value of 1 to it.

then just reboot your computer and see what happens, if you get your logon screen then you will also see the administrator account in there from now on.

if that does not work, man i don;t wanna tell you the second option cause it will take forever to write everything down, but i will try to cut it off in a couple of lines, get PEBUILDER to create your own bootable windows cd, then get the plugin to create accounts in xp, then create an account with a password. after that just reboot and from the guest account, get a command prompt shell, then type taskkill /im explorer.exe -f
after that type:

cd\
start windows

then look for a file called explorer.exe and right click on it, choose the "run as" command and then type thre name of the new account and the password, after you do that everything that you do in the desktop will be with admin rights, which means you can open the program you used to create the automatic autologon and then just disable it. the difficult part in all this is to create the bootable cd with pebuilder, for you have to have a copy of xp with service pack 2 and then you will have to create the bootabel cd, then you will have to find the plugin to create the accoun, sorry i forgot the name, it has been a while since the last time i used it. i have a copy of it, but i renamed me a long time ago so i don;t know the real name, i would upload, but i can;t do that in this forum ;\

cya i hpe the first option works for you
  • jammer2552
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ok, my computer is good now. The registry can not be edited under guest rights, so that one was out. The run as dialog does not allow blank passwords, so that one was also out. I ended up using PEBuilder which worked wonderfully. I used it to edit the registry.

Lesson learned, eh?

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 10 posts