automating software installations

• kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Trout Creek, MT

Post 3+ Months Ago

I work in a school, and this year I got a butt load of cash to buy new computers with. So I've ordered about 65 computers (maybe more soon) and so far I've gotten about 27 of them. I have a list of software that gets installed on each computer, so I downloaded them and burned them to a cd. Then I made a few copies of the cd and I am doing a couple of computers simultaneously.

My question is...how do I write an autorun type of thing to start each of the installers, and then can I use some sort of an answer file type of thing to automatically choose each of the options I want during the setup and configuration. As I am doing it right now, I have three computers running and I just go from one to the next to the next clicking the same button on each. What I am envisioning is having about 10 computers running, I stick the cd in and it goes on its own, then reboots when it is finished, all without me lifting a finger. Having it this way would really save a lot of time.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007
  • Loc: NY

Post 3+ Months Ago

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/libr ... 8858(WS.10).aspx

It can be done with group policy & active directory.
  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm not running active directory though. I kind of wish I was, but when I got these funds I decided that the most of my servers are good enough for now and my crappy old pentium 3's and windows ME's and 2000s were needing replaced pdq. All my servers are linux servers as well and I like that, it beats buying server 2008.
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007
  • Loc: NY

Post 3+ Months Ago

I agree on the price issue. Windows server software prices are through the roof. However, I don't know how you can do a mass install of windows software otherwise. I looked at SAMBA & a few other things.

Once I had to install a program on a machine that had a broken CDROM. I shared the CDROM on another PC on the network & started the install that way. You would still have to go to each machine to start the install but you wouldn't have to wait until one finished to start the next. Well, maybe. Try it & let me know.
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Do any of these sound good to you?
  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

I was just thinking I'd put all the installers on a cd and let the autorun do its thing to execute each file. I'd have a whole bunch of copies of the cd, then do a whole bunch of computers all at once. I could set up a couple of folding tables and do 15 computers simultaneously or as many as I wanted.

I'll look into Bogey's link a little more on Monday. Its the weekend and I'm chilling out and not fretting too much about work stuff.
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

kc0tma wrote:
I'll look into Bogey's link a little more on Monday. Its the weekend and I'm chilling out and not fretting too much about work stuff.

Hopefully they'll give you the solution you want.
  • grinch2171
  • Genius
  • Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Post 3+ Months Ago

Have you tried doing something like Ghost? Build one PC the way you want it, make an image of said PC and deploy image to remaining PC's.
  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

I was doing something similar to that on the old computers, I was sticking a second hard drive in the computer then booting to a linux live cd and using dd to duplicate the first drive over to the second drive. On these brand spanking new machines though I'd kind of like to avoid that if at all possible because I want to keep things totally legit and legal as far as licensing is concerned. My predecessor was pretty bad at buying one copy of a major piece of software like adobe premiere or MS office with only a single license and then putting it on one computer, then imaging that one computer over to others. I mentioned to him that that wasn't exactly legal, but he said there was no way they could sue him because he really only installed it once. The adobe legal teams are probably smart enough to find a way to squash him no matter what.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 9 posts