autorun.inf folder..annoys me..

• albin
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Loc: Philippines

Post 3+ Months Ago

i have this autorun.inf folder in my C:\ ...
i think there is no really problem..i just couldn't erase it..
inside this folder is a file "lpt3.This folder was created by Flash_Disinfector"
it says that

"cannot delete lpt3.This folder was created by Flash Disinfector : cannot find the specified file.
make sure you specify the correct path and file name."

this flash disinfector is a application that fix the problem in my drive such as can't double click them..you know what i am saying.. 8)

yesterday a friend of mine inserted a flash disc on my pc..he didn't try to scan it first.. :evil:
then i noticed that this folder suddenly appear in my drive C:\..

how will I erase this file?..

should I borrow his flash drive so i could erase this file?

tnx in advance.. :D
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• htcorp
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • htcorp

Post 3+ Months Ago

You try Kaspersky antivirus to delete autorun.inf. I met the problem last month, my solution is reinstall windows and scan virus first, then setup other programs.
  • albin
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

awtch! i wish kaspersky would do the trick! tnx!
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

This is what Flash Disinfector does
http://experi3nc3.wordpress.com/2007/05 ... r-by-subs/

What exactly did you do and what exactly are you trying to do?
  • albin
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

a flash drive was inserted to my pc..then a folder autorun.inf was created to my drives (c:\ and d:\)..i was trying to delete that folder but couldn't be deleted..i've read some comments on the link you gave to me telling that folder created by Flash Disinfector was not malicious..is it true? so should I leave that folder to my drives?..tnx in advance!ΓΌ
  • wtfbatman
  • Born
  • Born
  • wtfbatman

Post 3+ Months Ago

the folder isn't malicious. it's made so the autorun folder cannot be over written so viruses cannot be put on the drive.

all you have to do is take everything off your USB drive that you want to keep and simply format the flash drive.

right click > My Computer
select > Format
select > Fat

don't select quick format.

remember: this will get rid of EVERYTHING on the drive.. including any preinstalled autorun software.
  • Michael Belsky
  • Born
  • Born
  • Michael Belsky

Post 3+ Months Ago

i had the same issue and finally was able to delete the autorun.inf folder created by Flash Disinfector. While I understand that Flash Disinfector puts that folder there to trick windows into not running any autorun.inf's on infected flash drives (and therefore preventing an infected flash drive from autmatically infecting your pc) , I have a SanDisk cruzer which autoloads its own antivirus and this folder was stopping it from loading.

To delete the autorun.inf folder just install Unlocker from http://ccollomb.free.fr/unlocker/

Then go to the folder in windows explorer and right click and choose Unlocker. Then choose the delete option from the drop down list and hit ok. It deleted it for me 1st try without a reboot.
  • cyberjoex
  • Born
  • Born
  • cyberjoex

Post 3+ Months Ago

albin wrote:
i have this autorun.inf folder in my C:\ ...
i think there is no really problem..i just couldn't erase it..
inside this folder is a file "lpt3.This folder was created by Flash_Disinfector"
it says that

"cannot delete lpt3.This folder was created by Flash Disinfector : cannot find the specified file.
make sure you specify the correct path and file name."

this flash disinfector is a application that fix the problem in my drive such as can't double click them..you know what i am saying.. 8)

yesterday a friend of mine inserted a flash disc on my pc..he didn't try to scan it first.. :evil:
then i noticed that this folder suddenly appear in my drive C:\..

how will I erase this file?..

should I borrow his flash drive so i could erase this file?

tnx in advance.. :D

It is not advisable that you remove the AUT0RUN.INF folder. It was placed there by Flash Disinfector to prevent viruses from creating the AUT0RUN.inf file on your flash drive.

On the other hand, you can read this article about the LPT3 folder http://extratopics.com/software/magic-in-microsoft-explained.html and read "MAGIC#1". It tells about the "CON" folder which is similar to LPT3 folder.

Furthermore, read http://extratopics.com/how-tos/disabling-autoruninf-to-avoid-usb-flash-drive-viruses.html

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 8 posts