basic question

• danc2033
  • danc2033

Post 3+ Months Ago

hey everyone, thanks for helping me with my DHCP problems, just wondering if you could help me again

some of my more computer-illiterate friends have been calling me to fix their computers. THey are basically loaded with adware, spyware, and other crap and run slow. Any suggestions as to how to clean these PCs up?

thanks again
danc
  • JrzyCrim
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

You can search the web or Ozzu for "Adaware free version" or "Spybot search and destroy" Those are the most popular spyware removal programs. Also check out the "Hijack - This Resources" thread at the top of this forum.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Start with the basics. Run an antivirus program if they have one (make sure the .dats are current). If not get 'em a free one on the net like AVG. Run the standard freeware spyware removal programs you've seen mentioned here like Adaware and Spybot S & D. Bookmark and keep checking back to the link on the hijackthis post I added to the board earlier to learn even more from the tips there.

Search google on anything you are not familiar with. The basic spyware removal tools get rid of most of the crap and antivirus tools get rid of the critical crap.

The more you do it, the easier it get's but it can be time consuming. I've had some computers take me from a few minutes to as much as several days to clean up, and there have only been two times that it's been so bad I had to reinstall the OS.

One good tip is to have some of these tools burned to CD or a USB removable storage drive. Some people may not be able to access the internet, so you may need an alternative means of installing these tools.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 3 posts