Belkin routers/adapters and firewalls - removing

• cybersyd
  • Loc: England

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm trying to download things from tvtorrents.com and the site keeps warning me that my firewall/router needs to be checked for maximum performance. It directs me to this page for help:

http://btfaq.com/serve/cache/25.html

but since my knowledge of firewalls and routers is next to nothing, I can't understand a word.

I am connected via a Belkin F5D6050 wireless adapter to my stepfather's computer, which has a Belkin F5D7230-4 54g Wireless Router. My computer runs Win XP, my stepfather runs Win 98.

Having used Bittorrent previously, I'm aware that my download speeds are slow (about 70KiB/s) and believe that this is because my router has a firewall which the bittorrent is struggling to get through.

I want to do something to my router or adapter which disables the firewall for my machine, whilst leaving it up on my stepfathers (since he has deep-seated paranoia when it comes to internet protection and has unofficially 'banned' me from downloading from the net).

I understand it has something to do with ports, but since like I say, my knowledge of firewalls is zip, I'd love it for someone to post an idiots guide to help me get past this problem.

Many thanks for anyone bothering to read my woes!
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• this213
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: ./

Post 3+ Months Ago

I don't think what you need to do could be described any clearer than the link you posted. You're going to have to configure the firewall to forward ports 6881-6999 to your computer for you.

Perhaps this will help
http://search.belkin.com/cgi-bin/MsmGo.exe?grab_id=26...D72304+
  • cybersyd

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ah, but you forget, you're talking to an idiot. I don't know what a port is. I don't know what a virtual server is. I have no idea how to change the configuration of my router, I don't even know how to get the neccessary info on screen, and the instruction booklet is worth less than the paper it's printed on.

I think the key phrase on the link I posted is this one:

"For example, if you have a cable or DSL connection and a router/switch/gateway/firewall, you will need to go into the configuration of this device and forward ports 6881-6889 to the local machine that will be using BitTorrent"

But since I have no idea how to do this, I'm in a little bit of a quandry.

Thank you for the link you posted. I just have no idea whether FTP is what I'm looking for (especially since I don't really know what FTP is).
  • this213
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

Port forwarding is not something you're just going to be able to point and click your way through. You're going to have to RTFM at some point. The Belkin website shows how to do configurations that are not standard, though for any standard form of setup, read the manual that came with the router.

Belkin, like most network device manufacturers, has a plethora of online documentation should you get stuck.

BTW - have you tried going to http://192.168.0.1 - or whatever your gateway claims for an IP address (try the url above first - most home use routers claim that address or http://192.168.1.1 )?

Irregardless of what you do/read/learn, you're going to have to have access to the router before you can configure it. That means you'll have to connect up to it and supply username and password. If you don't have a username and password for the router, then you're in the wrong forum.

hth
$this
  • cybersyd

Post 3+ Months Ago

I've read the manual. It doesn't help.

I can now access the configuration of the router using the IP address given (thanks!). However, the 'virtual server' part of it asks me for information that I neither have nor know how to get.

This is the screen that I get:

http://popularwb.elijahfanforums.com/crap/belkin.jpg

I assume I tick 'enable,' that the description doesn't matter (I type Bittorrent anyway) and the inbound ports are the range that Bittorrent uses - 6881 to 6889. The private IP address would be the one of my own machine. I've got that.

I don't know what the private ports are, but since Belkin requires them to change anything, I have simply been inputting the same details as for Bittorrent.

I click 'apply changes' and.... nothing happens. The screen refreshes but the details aren't kept. I must be doing something wrong but I have no clue what.

(oh... what does RTFM mean?)

Thanks for the attention you're giving this, I'm lost.
  • this213
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

it should work as you stated. BTW, Bitorrent's ports go up to 6999. Enter the same port range in the "Private Port" area and "Apply Changes" If this doesn't work, try the "Help" link from that page. At least now you know that you're looking for help on "Belkin Virtual Server Configuration" -- try Google for that phrase too.

It shouldn't be any more complex than this - if your changes aren't taking effect, there's probably something else going on - are those ports specifically blocked by the firewall? Or perhaps you have view but not manage privileges on the router.

RTFM mean Read the manual
  • cybersyd

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks! At least now I know I'm typing the right stuff into the page - although the Belkin page doesn't seem to want to accept it. I've disabled the firewall so it shouldn't be that.

You're right, whatever reason Belkin won't accept my changes must be something else (since I was able to disable the firewall, and it's accepted that change) - but at least I'm halfway there!

Thank you so much!
  • Andee
  • Born
  • Born
  • Loc: Oxford. UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi cybersyd,

Did you ever manage to resolve your problem with your Belkin router not taking your virtual host changes? I've got the same problem & am looking for a solution.

Thanks in advance,

Andee
  • cybersyd

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have sent you a PM but I'll just add this since you're the second person to ask me.

After Belkin customer support talked me through a variety of instructions, they gave up and sent me out a replacement router, free of charge. There seems to be a physical fault in some Belkin routers, or at least, ones made around a certain period. The replacement works fine and I've been able to change the virtual server settings without any problems.
  • Andee
  • Born
  • Born
  • Loc: Oxford. UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks for the PM cybersyd. Thought I'd add my experiences with Belkin though in case it helps someone else.

After talking to their support people it turned out that either my firewall (Zonealarm) or virus checker (Norton) was getting in the way. If I turned both of these off the update worked fine (I'd also cleared out my browser's temporary files, including offline content, & cookies but I don't think this had any impact).

Hope that helps someone else.

Andee

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 10 posts