Best Way To Send Email With Multiple Attachments??

  • RedBMedia
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 315

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hey all,

I have an issue. At my office we have a receptionist that needs to send multiple attachments in one email several times a week. This receptionist and her boss are both pretty computer illiterate. Shes pretty old, and spends most of her time playing solitaire very slowly. So, I need a way thats the easiest to send an email with Outlook with multiple attachments. I really don't want to teach her how to create ZIP files (that would drive me crazy), and I think that selecting multiple files to send would be to much for her.

If I don't teach her how to do this, then its one more thing on my list of responsibilities. Any ideas?
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 23455
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Save all the files to be attached to the same folder
Open New Mail Message in Outlook
Switch from RTF format (typically the default) to HTML format.
Click Insert on Top Menu and Click File.
Navigate to the folder where the files are located
Left click the first file listed.
Hold the shift key and click the last file listed. (This will highlight all the files in the folder).
Click attach (this will attach all the highlighted files).
Voila!
Click Send
  • RedBMedia
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 315

Post 3+ Months Ago

ATNO/TW wrote:
Save all the files to be attached to the same folder
Open New Mail Message in Outlook
Switch from RTF format (typically the default) to HTML format.
Click Insert on Top Menu and Click File.
Navigate to the folder where the files are located
Left click the first file listed.
Hold the shift key and click the last file listed. (This will highlight all the files in the folder).
Click attach (this will attach all the highlighted files).
Voila!
Click Send


Hmmm apparently I need to stress the term "computer illiterate". This is a woman who took over 2 hours of me repeating myself, for her to learn how to copy and paste, and she still has problems with that! I swear to god, sometimes I feel like I work with a bunch of retarded people. And the more and more I realize how stupid they are, the more work is piled on me! Because shes not going to understand how to do this which means that I will just have to end up doing it!!!! I hate my job.

~~Deep Breath~~

OK, so yeah anyways, I think this might be to complicated for her. I am looking for a three click solution. Does that exist?
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 23455
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

No it doesn't exist. Either teach her my way, teach her how to "zip" or talk her boss into firing her because she's worthless. Seriously if she can't do such a simple task she needs to go. Sorry. I spent 17 years in management and I would never keep an employee like that. And if your boss can't/won't fire her talk his boss into firing him. I feel for your situation, btw. My boss needs fired too.
  • RedBMedia
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 315

Post 3+ Months Ago

ATNO/TW wrote:
No it doesn't exist. Either teach her my way, teach her how to "zip" or talk her boss into firing her because she's worthless. Seriously if she can't do such a simple task she needs to go. Sorry. I spent 17 years in management and I would never keep an employee like that. And if your boss can't/won't fire her talk his boss into firing him. I feel for your situation, btw. My boss needs fired too.


I completely agree with you! However, her boss, has no boss, he owns the company! Which is why at the end of the week I have an interview at another company!
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 23455
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Smart move. Best of luck.
  • alex298
  • Newbie
  • Newbie
  • alex298
  • Posts: 7

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi,

## I have an interview at another company!

I don't agree with this action. There are a lot of similar people in the world. You have to learn to work with all kind of people. I have even worst experience than you.

Let's get back to your question. If you can accept to use other software other than rubbish outlook to send emails, you should have a solution.

Best regards
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 23455
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Alex are you sure you read what RedBMedia actually said? This has nothing to do with learning how to work somebody. I'm sure the lady and her boss are very nice people. It's the fact that she's incompetent and has no business being in the position that she's in. I don't blame RedBMedia for wanting to get out of it. He can't change the situation, he doesn't like the situation, and I think finding a new job where he'd be happy is quite an excellent choice.

As for Outlook being rubbish, your entitled to your opinion, but finding a different email client still does nothing to solve the problem. The lady simply doesn't know how to use computers and obviously has to be babied every step of the way.
  • edgrbishop
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 20

Post 3+ Months Ago

Here's where I see the problem... Why not teach her how to right click and zip the folder needed. Then you can unzip it. If you hate how winzip likes to place all unzipped files into some stupid location other then where the origional zip files is located. Use Winrar, it's free and does a lot more then winzip. or teach her how to make a zipped .exe file!

And remember if a person has problems doing a required job, it's usually the person training them's fault. but the blame doesn't always stop there, because someone had to be responsible for training them...

print her out easy to read, and follow directions and take the time to walk her through the process several times, for a few days!

And yes I agree, you will find plenty more people out there who are just as bad or worse. I had a guy in my A+ class, who took a help desk class prior to the A+ class, and had problems knowing how to power on and log onto the PC everyday!

Take your time, don't get fustrated, and before you know it she will be the one making your job a whole lot easier! Or at least she may start baking you cookies!
  • RedBMedia
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 315

Post 3+ Months Ago

ATNO/TW wrote:
Alex are you sure you read what RedBMedia actually said? This has nothing to do with learning how to work somebody. I'm sure the lady and her boss are very nice people. It's the fact that she's incompetent and has no business being in the position that she's in. I don't blame RedBMedia for wanting to get out of it. He can't change the situation, he doesn't like the situation, and I think finding a new job where he'd be happy is quite an excellent choice.

As for Outlook being rubbish, your entitled to your opinion, but finding a different email client still does nothing to solve the problem. The lady simply doesn't know how to use computers and obviously has to be babied every step of the way.


I love an online forum where its members discuss if I am making the right career decisions! Thanks ATNO, and btw, the job hunt is still on!
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey
  • Posts: 8415
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Why can't she use gmail? All you do is click browse, select the files and... do that again for another file.

You said outlook, I know.

Teaching her to ZIP may not be a bad idea. There are files that allow you to view ZIPPED files like folders and drag and drop stuff into them to ZIP them. That may be easy for her... hopefully :lol:

Although I know in what kind of situation you are in. Best of luck RedBMedia.

Post Information

  • Total Posts in this topic: 11 posts
  • Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 44 guests
  • You cannot post new topics in this forum
  • You cannot reply to topics in this forum
  • You cannot edit your posts in this forum
  • You cannot delete your posts in this forum
  • You cannot post attachments in this forum
 
 

© 1998-2014. Ozzu® is a registered trademark of Unmelted, LLC.