Blank screen problem on XP.

• on_way_to_fame
  • on_way_to_fame

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi,

I am running windows xp, and have had the machine for a fairly long time. I have “Intel extreme graphics” as my graphic software.

While I was working on my machine, there was flickering on the screen, and all of a sudden the colours became a lot dull. This has happened several times in the past but then it automatically fixes itself in 1 or 2 seconds, but this time It didn’t.

So I right clicked on the little “intel graphics” icon in system tray, clicked on display modes and choose high colour instead if true colour, and then all of a sudden the screen just went blank.

I restarted, and the XP logo shows up fine, but then nothing comes up. The login prompt does load but nothing shows up on the screen. I am able to go to my desktop in safe mode or with vga mode (note: even in vga mode, the colour of the screen keeps on changing every few seconds). I have been in device manager and updated the intel driver using the “update driver” option, but that doesn’t do the trick?

Any ideas on how I can fix this will be really appreciated?

Thanks
Ash
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007
  • Loc: NY

Post 3+ Months Ago

Start with the basics. Make sure that both fans are running and that it's not overheating. Try another monitor. If you still have the same problem, then change the video card.
  • on_way_to_fame
  • on_way_to_fame

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi,

Fans seem to be working fine, I dont have another monitor at the moment, is there any chance I can check on a Laptop screen?

Thanks
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007
  • Loc: NY

Post 3+ Months Ago

No, not with the laptop. If the laptop screen were bad, you could check that with a regular monitor but not the other way around. Try to borrow one.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 4 posts