Blue Screen (0x000000F4)

• Danny1337
  • Student
  • Student
  • Danny1337
  • Loc: Norway

Post 3+ Months Ago

Been getting blue screens lately, and I can't figure out the issue.
Sometimes, totally randomly, the computer starts lagging every few seconds. When I press ctrl+alt+del it says "Preparing security options" which eventually results in a bsod. It's a fresh install of windows 7 on a brand new ssd hard drive (ocz agility 3, 240 gb, sata III 6bg/s). I have a total of 6 hard drives in my computer, 4 ram bricks (2gb each), an itel i7 860 processor and a ati radeon 5850 graphic card.

The problem doesn't happen every day, just every now and then. Sometimes right after waking from sleep.
The blue screen itself doesn't say much, and it's not saving an error dump.

what can be the problem?

Bsod image attached
Attachments:
20110720_231413.jpg
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007
  • Loc: NY

Post 3+ Months Ago

I searched Google for:
Blue Screen (0x000000F4)
& there are alot of hits.

With 6 drives in the PC, any of them could be causing the problem.
  • Danny1337
  • Student
  • Student
  • Danny1337

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yeah I googled it aswell. I also suspected my hard drives. But I've been running chkdsk on them all, and most of them are new. I don't know of anything else than disconnecting the hard drives one by one to see if the problem disappears

I will post back
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007

Post 3+ Months Ago

Also look at the RAID software & make sure that the BIOS can handle all those drives.
  • Danny1337
  • Student
  • Student
  • Danny1337

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm running in ahci mode, would that be correct?
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007

Post 3+ Months Ago

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advanced_H ... _Interface

Read the paragraph that starts with "Some operating systems".
  • Danny1337
  • Student
  • Student
  • Danny1337

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yeah. I had it in ahci when installing windows. Right now I have just 2 hard drives connected and I haven't had any problem yet. I'll wait a little longer before connecting the next one
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007

Post 3+ Months Ago

That's a good idea, one drive at a time.
  • Zealous
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Sydney

Post 3+ Months Ago

lol the only way to do it, at least it is hardware problems not like there is 1 disconnected power cable in the cable socket that just shorts out the power haha that took me a week to figure out something like that.

But yea just keep testing till bios won't load when that happens you have hit gold.
  • tomasrs4
  • Born
  • Born
  • tomasrs4

Post 3+ Months Ago

have you solved the problem? Im having the same bsods and i suspect my Samsung F3 1TB hard drive...
  • Danny1337
  • Student
  • Student
  • Danny1337

Post 3+ Months Ago

I just figured out which drive caused the problem. It was a rather old 250gb sata drive. Just a hour after connecting it, the bsods came back. (been fine for a week without the drive connected).

Anyhow, something weird just happened. After the last bsod, the internet stopped working. Seems like the onboard network adapter can't detect the cable being plugged in, also theres no leds lit up near the hub. Could the bsod have caused damage to the motherboard?
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hub? Do you mean router or switch?
  • Danny1337
  • Student
  • Student
  • Danny1337

Post 3+ Months Ago

Just the ethernet port, sorry. It stopped working after the bsod. Anyway, it started working again after leaving my pc off for a good 5 hours. Weird problem, but it seems to be all good now, thanks
  • NiQ
  • Born
  • Born
  • NiQ

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have the exact same problem as the starter of this thread. I use SSD hard drive for windows 7 home premium 64-bit and two samsung f3 1tb hard drives for music and other stuff. When I disconnect both of the samsungs, system works just fine.

After the BSOD the windows won't start and the error is "NTLDR is missing". I also noticed that BIOS doesn't find the SSD hard drive. It seems that something clashes very badly but I don't know what it is.

Also my friend has almost same setup as I do. Same motherboard, SSD, processor and couple of samsung f3s but he has windows 7 ultimate 64-bit. He have never had any of these problems.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks. btw which operating system you have Danny1337?
  • Danny1337
  • Student
  • Student
  • Danny1337

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm on Windows 7 Ultimate x64. One of your drives might be faulty too, try to disconnect just one of them to see if the problem is still there. If yes, disconnect that one and connect the other one.
Did your ssd disappear from your bios after the bsod? Or did you never see it in there at all?
  • NiQ
  • Born
  • Born
  • NiQ

Post 3+ Months Ago

Problem persists with all possible drive combinations. Usually the problem chain goes like this: when SSD and F3 are connected BSOD appears in windows after some random time. Then when you try to boot up again it shows this "NTLDR is missing" notification and windows won't start, this is when SSD has disappered from BIOS. Powering down and disconnecting F3 solves the problem.

I think my drives are ok, because both SSD and second F3 are new. Older F3 works just fine in different computer.
  • NiQ
  • Born
  • Born
  • NiQ

Post 3+ Months Ago

Problem solved I think. The reason was BIOS update. My motherboard is AsRock Z68 Pro3. With UEFI BIOS version 1.4 none of the drives worked. Updated to version 1.6 and the system has been stable.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 17 posts