blue screen of death?

• Rat
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: desk

Post 3+ Months Ago

I left my computer for about 15mins, I return and i have the BSOD. SO I restarted my computer, and it wont/doesnt load Windows XP. It just shows the Compaq logo. It says Press F1 for setup and Press F10 for system restore. When I press F10 nothing happens, so I press F1 and it says loading, so I left my computer idle for about 2 hours, and it still said loading. I inserted a CD into the drive and restarted, nothing happened. So I inserted a floopy disk into a drive, restarted, still nothing. I dont think my system is set to load from A: on startup. Does anyone have any suggesstions on what I should do?
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• ShEDeViL
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

While the computer is booting, try hitting esc, f1, or f2 to get into the system's bios where you can change the boot order of your pc, so that you can set it to boot from the floppy first.

You didn't happen to write down the error code that you got did you?

You might also want to try resetting your cmos battery. The little watch battery on your motherboard, just take it out (carefully of course) and leave it out for 1-2 minutes and put it back.
  • Rat
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

I tried hitting the esc, f1 and f2 keys on startup, but they just say loading :function of the key i press:

no i didnt get the error code =/. but i did get it to opperate properly once, and here is what is said.

STOP: c000007b Unknown Hard Error
Unknown Hard Error
Beginning dump of physical momory
------------------------------------------

is my HD shot?
Ill try resetting my cmos battery and see if that helps.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

What were you doing before you left for 15 minutes and before all this started? That information could be helpful

The stop code is not one I could find yet, but the error Unknown Hard Error could be an indicator of registry corruption:

Quote:
A necessary Registry hive file couldn’t be loaded. The file may be corrupt or missing (requiring either an Emergency Repair Disk or a Windows reinstallation). The Registry files may have been corrupted because of hard disk corruption or some other hardware problem. A driver may have corrupted the Registry data while loading into memory, or the memory where the Registry is loading may have a parity error (turn off the external cache and check the physical RAM).

However, the stop error for that is: 0xC0000218

Hmm -- just found this on 0xC000007b

http://www.experts-exchange.com/Hardwar ... 32764.html

Going back to the registry thing, if you do get to a point where it's a choice to reinstall the OS you might want to try this first:
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=307545
  • Rat
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

well last night i accidentially got the floopy disk jammed in the drive, so this morning i took the case off and fixed the floopy drive, then i restarted/turned on my pc, and logged into windows, i surfed the web for about 5mins, then left, i came back and i had the BSOD
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

By any chance is your HDD light stuck on when this happens ? I used to have a problem Similar to this & my HDD would *click....BZZZZzzzzzz......* Then I would get a BSOD when windows tried to write to the pagefile. I never did figure out what it was :?
  • Rat
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

I didnt notice if it was stuck on. =/
  • Rat
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well, my computer appears to be working....so far.... i did what shedevil suggessted and its running well. I wan some sys checks, and came up with a sh*t load of problems/errors, got those fixed now. Anyways, thanks for everyones help.
  • cyber_craft
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

if any thing like that happens again you dont have to take out the battery. thier should be a jumber on the motherboard that will clear the CMOS.
  • Daywalker
  • Loc: Cologne, Germany

Post 3+ Months Ago

hi

ive got the same problem like rat
i would like to try this thing with the jumper
how does it work?
where do i exactly find this on the motherboard
thanks for help
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

This will give you a brief overview, however, the bottom line is you will need to either read the instructions in your motherboard manual, or you may need to go to your motherboard manufacturer's site to get the information. The jumper settings will vary from manufacturer to manufacter so there is no way for anyone to tell you exactly which ones to change without that information. Anyway, here's the overview:

http://www.pcguide.com/proc/config/mb-c.html
  • Daywalker

Post 3+ Months Ago

thanky you for this information
i'll try this and tell you afterwards what happened
hopefully from my own pc and not from the pc of my father :?
  • Daywalker

Post 3+ Months Ago

yeeha =D
it works
the information with the jumper helped me a lot
thanks for this
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

You're quite welcome. Hope you hang around OZZU and enjoy your time with us. Glad things worked out.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 14 posts