Boot from ATAPI CD-Rom: Disk Boot Failure, Insert System this

• tailhawk
  • Born
  • Born
  • tailhawk
  • Loc: springfield,mo

Post 3+ Months Ago

Boot from ATAPI CD-Rom: Disk Boot Failure, Insert System Disk and Press Enter.

This is the message that I get whenever I turn my computer on.

I inherited this computer and don't have the system disk. Heck I don't even know for sure what Windows OS system is on it. I was told that it was WinME but, I am at a lost as to how to get past the above note. I am even at a loss as to why it is asking for a system disk. On start up it does try to boot from the hard drive, but then deflects to the cd rom. So I am guessing (and that is basically what it is....a guess :?: :? ) that there is something wrong with the boot files on my hard drive? Any help that I can get with this situation would be greatly appreciated.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Alkatr0z
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Alkatr0z
  • Loc: Adelaide, Australia

Post 3+ Months Ago

Okay this is a different problem. First off are you sure it is attempting to boot from the HDD before the CDROM?
One way to check this is to Press 'Del' when you first turn the computer on. IF that doesn't work when you turn the computer on check down the bottom of the screen and it will say something like "Press <key> for Setup" Press the key indicated.

That should take you to a blue screen. You need to browse through the various possible screens using the keyguide to the right of the screen. Look for something like "First Boot Device" and see if HDD0 is in the Boot order. If it is not you can usually change the 3rd Boot Device using the + or - keys. Do not change anything but that if it is needed. And make sure its HDD0 that is the Boot Device. I suggest changing the 3rd boot device as that way it will first check your Floppy and CDROM for boot devices to save you changing it later if you ever need to boot from a CDROM.

Also There should be a section in there that deals with your Hard Drives. Check that any Hard Drives you own are showing up in there. There should be at least 1 entry and it should be HDD0.
  • Alkatr0z
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Alkatr0z

Post 3+ Months Ago

Here are some instructions for changing the boot order. You might find them more helpful.
http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,1697,1785998,00.asp
  • Alkatr0z
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Alkatr0z

Post 3+ Months Ago

Heres information for the major 3 BIOS types..
AWARD:
http://www.phoenix.com/en/Customer+Services/BIOS/AwardBIOS/default.htm
Phoenix:
http://www.phoenix.com/en/Products/Core+System+Software/Other+Platform+Products/PhoenixBIOS+4.0/default.htm
AMI BIOS is a bit more tricky and they don't have as good a support system as Phoenix by a quick look. You can go here to determine if you have a AMI motherboard. If not you will have to go to the motherboard manufacturer website.
http://www.ami.com/support/bios.cfm

And heres a FAQ on the BIOS:
http://www.phoenix.com/en/Customer+Services/BIOS/BIOS+FAQ/default.htm
  • grinch2171
  • Genius
  • Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Post 3+ Months Ago

Regardless of boot order he has a hard drive problem.

If the CD-ROM was set as first boot device and no CD is in the CD drive it would go to the next boot device, so on and so forth.

Here is what you need to do:
http://www.pcguide.com/ts/x/sys/booterrGBER13-c.html

Basically, the PC cannot find a dvice to boot off, which usually means their is no operating system to boot from or the hard drive is pretty much shot.
  • Alkatr0z
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Alkatr0z

Post 3+ Months Ago

I was more concerned that the Boot order might not have HDD0 in it at all. It could be set to HDD1 or anything else which would also cause the same errors to occur.
If you notice I also didn't tell him to make his first boot device or his second the HDD0. I suggested it as the 3rd boot device after the Floppy and CDROM.

There is another method not mentioned in that website that is also a possibility. If you can get a Win98/Me bootdisk from a friend you can boot into DOS and check to see if the directory WINDOWS/WIN/WINME exists or not. To do so the relevant commands would be..
C:
dir /AD
If you can see the directory in the list copy the boot.ini file to the A: using the following command
copy C:\boot.ini A:\
Then post the contents of the boot.ini file to here.

If it is Windows ME I'd suggest getting rid of it though as its a very unstable operating system. I ran it for about a month before it refused to boot anymore. Didn't bother finding out why just got rid of it and went back to 98.

Other than that suggestion the website looks like it gives some useful tips and steps.
  • tailhawk
  • Born
  • Born
  • tailhawk
  • Loc: springfield,mo

Post 3+ Months Ago

I haven't had a chance to try the things that you have sent me so far, but, I am going to check out one of them before I turn in. I don't know how much time I will have to work with this until Monday after next when I will be taking a day off since I will probably be working 70-80 hrs this week. But I truly appreciate all that you have done to help me and wont go through this without letting you know if and when something works.

I was thinking earlier, that I also had a CMOS error when I first plugged in the computer. I changed the battery and reset the clock/calendar. Is it possible that the boot info was lost when the battery died? If so without a system disk what do I do to get it restored? Am I on the right track or just shooting in the breeze?
  • Lizano
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Lizano
  • Loc: San Jose, Costa Rica

Post 3+ Months Ago

I know this is a kinda stupid suggestion, but it's perfectly possible and I've found it to be more common than one would think.

Are you sure there was no floppy inserted in drive A: when that happpened.?

As grinch mentioned, it doesnt matter if it's set to boot from CD-ROM cause if theres no cd it will just jump to the next boot option, however if it's set to boot from the floppy and there's a disk in the drive that is not a bootable disk, it will just get stuck until you insert a bootable disk or remove whichever disk is in the drive and press any key for it to jump to the next option.
  • Alkatr0z
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Alkatr0z

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:

I was thinking earlier, that I also had a CMOS error when I first plugged in the computer. I changed the battery and reset the clock/calendar. Is it possible that the boot info was lost when the battery died? If so without a system disk what do I do to get it restored? Am I on the right track or just shooting in the breeze?

If that happened and this has been the result since I would go into the BIOS and check that the Hard Drives have been detected by the BIOS. Depending on how long the battery was out/dead for it might have cleared all the settings. You shouldn't have to mess with the Boot Order as the default should be Floppy, CDROM, HDD0. But could be worth checking anyway.

The links I sent for BIOS versions should give you the information you need to find the Harddrive detection easily enough.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 9 posts