We bought a computer with windows xp and need help

• whatlikesit12345
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

We purshed a computer w/ windows xp. it came with an ethernet card embedded into the mother board and then like a week or 2 later we go and try to network them. we get the first computer set-up w/ some help with the compnay. Then we go to the newer comp and set it up and then we start it and we find out that all is working well. Well a few days later we find out that we have no internet connection and no network. the computers aren't even 10 feet apart. What should we do to see if we can get the network working at its best speed. My friend has the same set-up and his works just fine. He has the same computer and all. the set-up is almost the same except his is one floor higher. Everyday he has excelante connection. If it helps we are trying to use a linksys and we have searched their site and have not found a thing about it.
  • Borrow -A- Geek
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Loc: Dallas/Ft Worth, Texas

Post 3+ Months Ago

you would need to tell what type of connection to the internet you have, what type of router (wireless, wired?).. but as a starting point unplug the power to your router and plug it back in; check for connectivity. if none, do the same thing with your cable modem or dsl modem. if still nothing, then check connectivity with all your cables. if all seems fine. go into your control panel, on the top left click switch to classic view if need be, click network connections, and then post what icons you have there and whether there are red x's next to them, and whether they are enabled or disabled. and we can continue from there.

you obviously have SOME sort of internet or you wouldnt have been able to post this thread... ??
  • whatlikesit12345
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

ya becuase right now we have the computers hardwired. it is supposed to be a wireless
  • whatlikesit12345
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

we have dsl provided by bellsouth.net. since my dad works with computers i believe that he tried that and i believe that he also called his friend that has used the same set-up

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 4 posts