IE Browser behaving Strangely

• Midnight
  • Midnight

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi, I'm new and I found this forum by luck ^^ I hope you guys can help me out here.

I'm having a problem with my IE6. I've never had this problem before. It just recently occured 2 days ago. The problem is that whenever I wish to click on a pop up window or open a new window in a new browser window, the window will appear but the page won't load. So pretty much, the content won't appear in the new window. So no access. *sigh* but ironically, I still get those annoying unwanted pop up ads at the top of the page,...like 5 or 10 at a time.

I've had tried those 'lil tricks. Hold down the Shift+ key then click the link so the page will load and the Ctrl+ button one. Neither worked. It seems to just freeze the page more and in the address bar, there is still no http:// address that appears. If I'm lucky I get an hour glass. -_-

Do you know if spyware and unwanted ads that leech onto your computer have the power to disfunction your pop-ups from appearing and loading up properly? I was wondering if the spyware, trackers, and ads that planted to my hard-disk could also eat up the computers resources? Ours seem to be low every time we start the computer. It's not like we're low on space, we have lots and we aren't running many programs in the taskbar just the essential ones.

When I open up System Information to check, the percentage seems to flucuate up and down It could start from 38% to 55% then back down to 22% I've Used CleanSweep and also went as far as Rebooting the computer but that seems to do no good.

I was wondering if that is somehow connected with the first problem, with the pop ups not loading in the new window of the page.

I hope I haven't confused you's yet with my question. *sheepish laugh* I can give you an idea how I think this situation all started.

There was a .exe program that was added and sadly after it was, I've noticed that's when the popup windows didn't seem to work. But I don't want to remove it to confirm if that clears the problem up. It'd be nice if I could just work around the new .exe program, really. I'm saying that because that program was made by my brothers good friend whose a programmer and system technician. It's his first project. Well, I think it is anyway. ^^;; It's pretty cool and very helpful in studying. He made it from scratch I think. I'm not sure, I can't access the source file because there isn't one. *sweatdrop* Unless it's hidden somewhere.

He's also helped restore our computer when a worm hit us. I thought maybe the .exe program may have some minor bug problem thats somehow disabling functions on the IE browser. Is that even possible?

Well, I think it's either that. The new .exe file, the resource % issue, or the possible spywear interferance that could be interferring with all of IE6 functions.

I know it can't be a ad eliminator or pop-up blocker, because I've never downloaded either of those programs to my computer; though I was tempted. *chuckle*

I was also thinking it could be our internet service provider or more so their 3rd party... but that might be considered too far fetched.

I don't know really. I'm just really guessing and trying to give you a clearer view of what it could be causing this. *hangs head*

Has anything like this ever happaned similiar to any of you's? What did you do? Do you know how it's fixable?

Sorry for the question being so long. I hope you guys can help out. Would be very appreciative if you could. ^o^

~Night

Here's a sum list of what it could be causing the pop up windows to not load in the IE6 browser.

1. the new .exe file ( a possible bug in the loaded program)
2. our computers resource is low (whether from spywear eating it up or not)
3. spy wear and ads are on our computer (could play a part)
4. our Internet Provider (I've called they didn't know)
5. Their Internet Provider 3rd Party (Which the Internet Support team never heared of O.o From both East and West Side Technicians)
6. Something Other, Something not Listed ( That could be it)
7. A Fluke occurence (1 out of 10000000 and I'm the winner. Yeah.)
8. Can JavaScript somehow be disabled from IE? Could that be it. I was just thinking really but still not certain.
9. Can a restricted IP be the cause maybe?
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Borrow -A- Geek
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Loc: Dallas/Ft Worth, Texas

Post 3+ Months Ago

# 3 is most likely. dowload SpyBot serach and destroy from download.com and get the most recent update. then check for spyware and remove it... i bet that fixes your problems..
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Agreed with Gadget Guru
  • ModernDestroyer
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Loc: California

Post 3+ Months Ago

I agree with Gadget and ATNO, sounds like spy ware there are a multitude of removal tools free to download.
  • Midnight
  • Midnight

Post 3+ Months Ago

Sorry, still no luck. Any other cause that could be preventing the pop up windows from loading properly in the new window. I even enabled the IE browser to support Java. That too didn't work. T_T

~Night
  • ModernDestroyer
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Loc: California

Post 3+ Months Ago

do you have the google toolbar? If so then you need to hold down the ctrl key to allow a pop window to appear.
  • Midnight
  • Midnight

Post 3+ Months Ago

No google toolbar added. Just the ordinary IE browser with nothing in addition. Still not able to view pop ups unless small banners. That comes through for some reason. ^^;; Could it be the browser itself? Can it just change settings suddenly without warning. Does that happen when you add a new application?

~Night
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

This may be your answer. It's a bit tedious, but follow the details in the reply to the poster's question. It sounds like your problems are identical and the solution looks promising.

http://www.mytechsupport.ca/support/top ... IC_ID=2017

As an added note, if that does work -- I lucked out on finding it. I typed "popup windows won't load" for a Google search and that was the only result.
  • Midnight
  • Midnight

Post 3+ Months Ago

The problem was similar. It also appears someone else is having the same problem too. Wonder why it went into effect just last week? *blinks, confused* It's strange because before, IE6 worked like a jewel. There was No problems with the pop up windows not loading. Well, I've tried the procedure from the link you found. ^^ Well part of it since I have no idea how to access the registry values. Sorry to say, still no change. But thank you so much for the link, ATNO.

This is what I've learned though; out of the 8, only 4 got the ok.

· Urlmon.dll -succeeded
· Shdocvw.dll -succeeded
· Msjava.dll -missing, damaged, or corrupted
· Actxprxy.dll -missing, damaged, or corrupted (use PView what's PView?) to delete it
· Oleaut32.dll -missing, damaged, or corrupted. This is the Actual message from inside the box ~ May not be exported or a corrupt version of Oleaut32.dll may be in memory. Consider using PView to detect and remove it.
· Mshtml.dll -succeeded
· Browseui.dll -succeeded
· Shell32.dll -missing, damaged, or corrupted

Here's a link to another user who is having the same prob.
http://www.experts-exchange.com/Operati ... 20046.html

I guess, it looks like reinstalling is the only option left. Hope it works. Don't know how to bring back the top 4 .dll files that are missing.

Like to THANK you 3 (Gadget Guru, ModernDestroyer and you ATNO) for all your help and suggestions into trying to resolve this IE matter. ^^V Reinstalling IE6 might just do it.

~Night

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 9 posts