Browser history is not stored on restart or after shutdown

• mikeyp58
  • mikeyp58

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hello,

I run Windows Vista and have Firefox (3.6.6) as my browser but sometimes use IE and Google Chrome.

I have recently noticed that all my History is not stored on a restart or after a shutdown. I had it set to 10 days but restored it to 90 days (default). It still does not retain my History.

I have checked all three browsers regarding History settings and all are fine.

I use CCleaner too but all the settings seem fine. I checked all the settings and have never had any fault before with CCleaner of any of the browsers.

I cannot run gpedit.msc (to maybe solve the problem) in 'run' as Vista Home Premium does not seem to run this command. I am unsure what route to take under 'regedit'.

Anyone any advice?

Thanks
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007
  • Loc: NY

Post 3+ Months Ago

Put about:cache in the URL box, press enter, then go to disk cache device. Is that what you want?
  • mikeyp58
  • mikeyp58

Post 3+ Months Ago

No - but thanks anyway.

My system in all forms does not retain History. I have done every check imaginable and checked all Internet Options, all Browser Options, CCleaner options, everything.

Any help whatsoever??
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin
  • Loc: Seattle, WA & Phoenix, AZ

Post 3+ Months Ago

So just to clarify, in all three browsers that you use, after you restart or shutdown every browser loses its browsing history?

If that is the case it does not sound like it has anything to do with a specific browser, but some sort of Windows setting or maybe the CCleaner program you are running. Have you tried to disable that program just to see if your history is retained then?
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Do you have the option checked to "Run CCleaner when the computer starts"? If so try unchecking it. I've never used that option but my guess is that it just runs it's scan in the background and deletes the stuff it normally would if you ran it manually. I might be mistaken, but that's something to look at. If you open CCleaner you'll find that under Options/Settings
  • mikeyp58
  • mikeyp58

Post 3+ Months Ago

I sorted my problem out over the weekend.

Thank you to all that replied and for your advice.

It was NOT CCleaner that was a problem but a problem with another application. It was only when I uninstalled it I sorted it out.
For info, I am a CCleaner and Piriform fanatic. I am 100% aware of all my settings and that was never a problem.

CCleaner is a very straightforward program to use (as are other Piriform products) and the best out there.

Thanks all again for your help and advice.
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks for letting us know you resolved things. We were never doubting your knowledge on how to use the program, but just trying to come up with ideas for you to help resolve it. Everybody in this forum has different skills levels, anywhere from a complete beginner to someone more knowledgeable like yourself. Hopefully you will stick around and help some of the others here who could use it :)

I am curious if you could let us know what other application was causing this problem that you went through. This could be helpful for anybody in the future who has a similar problem, as maybe the same program causes issues like this for them as well.
  • mikeyp58
  • mikeyp58

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks. There was never any criticism from me about the advice.
I have 'some' knowledge but not a qualified technician.

I looked at my problem from 4 ways:

1. CCleaner
2. Windows Problem
3. Me tweaking Firefox in 'about:config' to increase speed.
4. Newly installed programs (two mainly)

CCleaner seemed fine and I even reset it to default and set it up again. (There had been a recent update so it was worth a check).

Windows updates all updated with no problems. I checked Windows for any faults. Nothing wrong.

'Untweaked' Firefox again. Did not solve the problem. I went on to IE and uninstalled Firefox 3.6.6. I reinstalled Firefox 3.6.3.
No difference - still losing History.

The two programs I had were 'ClearAllToolbars (History)' and 'AdvancedSystemCare'. CAT was on a two-week trial so I uninstalled it. If you do use it, it can be quite powerful and robust - use with caution!

I still had the 'History' problem so went in-depth to ASC (I had recently purchased it after using the free version - I think it's not bad for the price. It even sets up Firefox to it's optimum use.
(It still doesn't stop me tweaking QoS etc!!)
I found the problem in AdvancedSystemCare - my fault entirely.
I unset Advanced Sweep and other small settings and my History problem is cured.
I had uninstalled it then reinstalled it and reset the settings.
It seems ok now.

I am self-taught and tend to learn from my errors - long way round I know.

Thanks again for the advice I was given.
I will gladly help at any time if I can :-)
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin

Post 3+ Months Ago

Appreciate you letting us know your resolution and the steps you took. I would say that there are many self-taught members here, including myself. I have learned a great deal through MISTAKES! as I am sure many have :)

Looking forward to seeing you around more!

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 9 posts